Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Korea)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Korea)

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:00 am

I didn't dislike the film but I hardly thought it was a masterpiece, so don't feel too alone.
wpqx

Postby A » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:27 am

I must say I feel a little relieved now...
A

Postby collectedsoul » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:50 am

You guys are being unfair I think...this film is a legitimate masterpeice. Most Eastern philosophy is rooted in the ideas of eternal return, the cycle of suffering, denial of the sense-world to attain peace (nirvana), and so on. Now I may have my own opinions on these ideas, but I cannot deny that there is a great amount of wisdom at the heart of Eastern mysticism. And these ideas are borne out in beautiful guise in this movie.
collectedsoul

Postby A » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:31 am

I have read some literature on eastern philosophy, and some authors from that region, and there are many different viewpoints (same as in western philosophy). I probably agree with you on this topic, and I think there is some wisdom in "Spring. Summer, Fall..", but the impression the film left me with was a cynical view of this cycle you are referring to. I simply see the world differently. As the philosophical take of the film was for me very expressed in it (it rather stood out from the beginning, and was presented in a didactic way) , it played a big part in my response to the film as a whole.
I had read a lot on the film beforehand, and had expected something else. The visuals were beautiful at times, but were not as stunning as they appeared to many people. In places I found them a bit too repetitive and clichd, a bit exoticism for its own sake... And the direction by Ki-duk also wasn't to my liking, as I didn't think it subtle enough for this kind of story. There were far more ambiguities in Seom (2000), another film by him I've seen, and which I enjoyed more.
A

Postby sfdavide » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:27 am

I think this is a masterpiece. I have seen many Kim films and have loved them all especially this one and Bin Jip, I do not know much about the religion to know how accurate it is just thought this was a great film
sfdavide

Previous

Return to Film Talk