Tony Takitani

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Tony Takitani

Postby trevor826 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:39 pm

U.K release news - LINK.
trevor826

Postby Unregistered(d) » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:26 pm

I know exactly how you feel too. At least these boards give us the chance to find out about these things. Its a shame that they don't get the exposure that they deserve though!
Unregistered(d)

Postby trevor826 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:03 pm

Am I doomed to never see Tony Takitani?

Released on dvd in the UK this week and apparently with excellent extras, I was delighted to see that our local Blockbuster had it in to rent, after all despite the positive press it's always best to try before you buy.

So good news then especially when the shop has a brilliant offer on this week where any rental is only 99p which equals around $1.8.

As well as Tony Takitani, there were other new releases including "L'Enfant", "The Coastguard" and the horrible "Infection" so I thought great! May as well make the most of the deal and took the boxes for all four to the counter. After around ten minutes I was on my way home with my choices except the one I was anticipating seeing the most, no Tony Takitani. Somehow they had managed to lose their copies, they had no doubt that they are in the store somewhere but nobody knows where!

I went back today to see if any of the staff had found it, despite three of them looking through the whole selection, Tony Takitani has vanished into thin air. It wouldn't be so bad if any of the other rental stores had copies of it but Blockbuster is the only one that has bothered to stock it.

Why couldn't they have lost Infection instead?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby howardschumann(d) » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:36 pm

You want to save the best for last. Take a look at what reason you may have for resisting seeing the film. Then simply up your intention and they will find it.

Howard
howardschumann(d)

Postby A » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:45 pm

Don't raise your expectations too high, though, or you might get disappointed.
But it's still a masterpiece to me.
A

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 am

One of the staff is into Japanese cinema so I've been extolling TT's virtues to him in the hope that he'll double his efforts to find it, by the look on his face I think there's a fair chance it'll be located soon.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:30 am

Well once again Howard has written a review that captures the film perfectly, I can only elaborate on what I've said elsewhere. Even though I haven't read the short story this has been adapted from, Tony Takitani feels right, I have read a few other short stories by the same author Haruki Murakami all of which have had the same deftness of touch.

Tonys life is presented as a series of short tableaus, the screen moves from left to right between each set piece as we are presented with the next moment. Colour has been used carefully, filtered to various shades of grey for the most part but with the odd subtle gentle effects where needed. A quiet, gentle meandering piano soundtrack plays throughout with only the odd smooth lazy jazz interruptions at necessary points.

The acting is sublimely understated; the directing and editing are more than capable, stylish but only to the point of effectively telling the story. As with many of Murakamis stories, the underlying truths about modern Japanese culture flow gently through, leaving them feeling like wisps of smoke softly flowing then lingering in your mind.

An exquisite experience, a film that ably demonstrates that Japan is still producing some of the most talented filmmakers in the World.

Also the only film I can remember where the behind the scenes doc lasts almost as long as the feature.

Cheers Trev.

R2 dvd released by Axiom, good quality but they need to do something re the burnt in subs.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:00 pm

TONY TAKITANI by HARUKI MURAKAMI
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:13 am

Thanks arsaib4, very little has been changed from the source with just a little extra on the end to allow the possibility that just maybe things could change for Tony Takitani.

Have you seen it yet?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:55 am

@arsaib

The link you posted, is that the short story by Murakami, i mean all of it. looks really short. If so I'll give it a read.
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk