Open your eyes vs. Vanilla Sky

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Open your eyes vs. Vanilla Sky

Postby stof_ » Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:29 pm

I just watched "Open your Eyes" the 1997 spanish film. Though I was hoping to see this movie first, I was dragged to see "Vanilla Sky", the shot for shot remake of the spanish film.
I'd like to get some other peoples opinions about what they think of the remake of the film and it's purpose.
stof_

Re: Open your eyes vs. Vanilla Sky

Postby mackybaca » Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:07 am

No match. Abre Tus Ojos wins.
mackybaca

Postby carrill7 » Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:54 am

I saw Open your Eyes and loved it. The actors were great. I don't think it could be improved upon. I have no dedire to see Vanilla Sky. I don't think it stands a chance againt the orginial.

carrill7

Postby christine » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:26 am

not only was it a shot for shot remake, it was also done in typical glossy hollywood style, with Tom Cruise of all people playing himself as usual...horrible
christine

Postby mouse » Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:44 pm

Open Your Eyes is the hands down winner...the only thing Vanilla Sky has going for it is Penelope Cruz in the same role.....
mouse

Postby dbroehl262 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:43 pm

Open Your Eyes was boring, the actors were stiff and in need of an acting class, and the sets were one step above High School drama. The entire film lacks drama and has no puch to it. Vanilla Sky, on the other hand, is is one instance where an American remake is far better than the original. Poen Your Eyes should be renamed "Close Your Eyes."
dbroehl262

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:13 am

The last reply posted is right on the money. I screened both films at my house when "Vanilla Sky" came on DVD, and they are both essentially the exact same. You won't receive any new insight or revelations from watching "Abre los Ojos" if you've already seen "Vanilla Sky".

No offense, but I think that if some people on this message board saw the same film of paint drying twice, and one of them had subtitles, they'd call it a masterpiece.

bigpoppa_2059

Postby admin-2 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:41 pm

The difference between the two films is that Cameron Crowe is a hack and Alejandro Amenabar is the only director under 30 working today who may in fact be a genius.
admin-2

Postby stof_ » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:19 pm

I have the same argument, but in reverse. the two movies are so incredibly similar(except for right near the ending, which Open your eyes handled better in my opinion). But if Vanilla sky offers nothing new, then what is the point? There was absolutely no reason to make the film from an artistic point of view. It was entirely economic driven.
"Hey, if we put in tom cruise and english, we'll make lots of money!" its a sad reason to make a film. and its even sadder that Vanilla sky has ruined Open your eyes for people like Bigpoppa. If somebody repainted the mona lisa, but painted a coke can in her hand, it wouldn't be praised, so why praise this rip off over its predecessor?
stof_

Return to Film Talk