Chungking Express (HK)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Chungking Express (HK)

Postby A » Wed May 31, 2006 6:22 am

Just noticed my initial response, and I must say that after a second viewing I liked the film more. I also watched it with a friend who was completely new to Wong, and he absolutely loved it. And another friend from Peru whom I borrowed it, also said he liked it. Seems like a crowd pleaser.

My favorite scenes are the playful exchanges of passion between Tony Leung and his stewardess in his appartment, as well as Brigitte Lin's discovery of the bar-owner having something going on with the waitress, while the jukebox keeps playing that gorgeous tune.
And Kaneshiro chasing a gangster at the beginning...
Doyle's camera is simply breathtaking.
One of my favorites from `94, because of its simplicity and honesty in depicting emotions through a tragicomical set-up.
But I think I still prefer Fallen Angels

Some time ago I gave my copy away to a friend for her birthday. Hmm, I'd like to see both again sometime.
A

Postby hengcs » Wed May 31, 2006 6:30 am

I "think" I have asked this before ...
but I would like to "poll" again (in this thread) since it is gone ...

Interestingly, my friends and I like the "second" story with Tony Leong and Faye Wong better ...
* oh yeah ... California dreaming ... *

But, it seems like a number of foreigners actually prefer the "first story" with Takeshi (i.e., the pineapple cans) ...

What are your preferences?
hengcs

Postby A » Wed May 31, 2006 6:59 am

I remember you asking before (and also some of the responses). How come it disappeared?

I liked both stories equally, every time I saw the film. I also don't think they can be separated easily. Actually all of the stories (even the ones on the side - waitress, stewardess) are very similar, and simply reflect various sides of the same thing.
Like the stories in "Fallen Angels" or "Days of Being Wild".
A

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:01 am

Yes hengcs I remember replying to your original question. For me Faye Wong lights up the second tale and with its overall lighter tone it's my favourite part.

Chungking Express is still one of my all-time favourite films as well.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby chard09 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:24 am

i love both stories, but i admit i enjoyed the second one as well. faye wong is irressistible. even her version of cranberries' dreams is wooooooooooooooow, wooonderful.

days of being wild is also a personal favorite. shot here in the philippines, why am i not aware that time? hehe. the subtitles are inaccurate, though.

great wong. great wong.
chard09

Previous

Return to Film Talk