Blood And Bones (Chi To Hone) (2005) (Japan)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Blood And Bones (Chi To Hone) (2005) (Japan)

Postby hengcs » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:38 am

Director: Yoichi Sai
Cast: Takeshi Kitano, Hirofumi Arai, Tomoko Tabata

This film is Japans submission to Oscar 2006.
In Japan, it has garnered numerous Japanese Academy awards and Kinema Junpo awards.

It is based on a prize winning semi-autobiographical novel by Yan Sogiru (Yang Sok Gil)

For more info (with trailers, awards, etc)

At the London Film Festival

My thoughts

(i) I know many people are going to watch it mainly for Kitano ... but what really struck me was how realistic the film looked the rape and violence seemed so raw, genuine and elaborate that one just did not know to feel haunting?! depressing?! anguish?! ... in particular, I am unsure how females would feel after watching the film

Apart from these brutal scenes, two of the food scenes might not be easily palatable either (i.e., for some people),
* minor spoiler *
i.e., the scene depicting the slaughtering of a pig
i.e., the eating of meat with maggots

(ii) Now, to what everybody is talking about ... Kitano ... Yes, he is very convincing as the "villain" ... While some people will totally hate him, the film did portray his vulnerability and isolation as well (to gain sympathy?!) ... but some people might find it difficult to fully comprehend what drove him to behave in such extreme ways in other words, the film left much of the inference, explanation or justification to the audience themselves (either from events and actions featured or knowledge audience might have gained from experience, hearing, reading, understanding of another culture, etc) ... So, it is not surprising that some people might be unable to relate with the various characters/events ... e.g., those who cannot grasp the notion of male "tyranny" or female "submissiveness" (esp. in the olden days)

Noteworthy, I think besides Kitano, the entire cast (esp. adult cast) did help to carry the film through ...

(iii) By the way, the film is NOT just about the relationship between the narrator and the father ... but is filled with many events occurring over a period of 60 years so, while watching a film about a main character (i.e., the father), it also feels like watching an epic story (about a family) hence, characters are plentiful and relationships are complicated ...

although marketed (often) as a story about Koreans living in Japan, I thought it told of a more "universal" story, i.e., it could happen to any household in any country ... unfortunately, issues related to Koreans living in Japan had to be largely "inferred", i.e., audience who did not have prior knowledge about the history of World War 2 or communism or the economic difference between Koreans in Japan and Japanese in Japan might have problems understanding some of the scenes/events that happened in the film

Highly recommended but be prepared for the tons of violence that are very realistic and credible and expectedly, a very depressing story

PS: It is unfortunate that some audience laughed at the wrong parts

Re: Blood And Bones (Chi To Hone) (2005) (Japan)

Postby A » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:01 pm

Saw the film this summer, but was disappointed as I expected much more after all the awards and rave reviews.
Kitano plays good, but he has done as good (and better) many times, so there`s nothing surprising about this.
Besides it`s a pretty standard narrative epic, as I`ve seen many before.
as hengcs pointed out, the film tells a universal story, but this was imo one of its weaknesses. You never connect much with the individual characters, because (besides Kitano) they aren`t given much importance. they are more types or figures that represent something the director wants to show, than actual persons. Too many clichees, and "obviousness" for me. I liked the beginning witht the young Kitano at the ship best. A marvellous scene that manges to say very much in just a few seconds.
Overall too "standard" for me, but I liked it. Rating is a high **1/2 / ****

Postby hengcs » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:26 am

hi A,

i guess most people's reaction after the film would be "how could he be so violent ..."
... but most people would never comprehend why he behaved as such ...

i guess the audience would just have to infer it themselves ...

hi arsaib4,

i recall that you posted someone's reviews on this movie ...
that was when i first knew abt the film ...
which article was it?

so, any chance of you catching the film?

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 16, 2006 5:31 am

Blood and Bones is now available on DVD with English subs. Click here.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch it soon; will post my thoughts after I do so.

Postby hengcs » Sat May 27, 2006 8:31 pm

Quote arsaib4,"So you're not like Kim Shunpei from Blood and Bones?! " (from another thread)

well, there r times where the director tries to reveal the "better" side of him ...
e.g., when he tends to his sick wife ...

Postby arsaib4 » Wed May 31, 2006 3:03 am

Overall, I was also slightly disappointed, especially considering how strong the first-half of the film truly was. Kitano was simply magnificent to watch, though, no matter how hideous his acts became. (Yes, hengcs, he tended to his sick wife but that doesn't make up for the rest, and also don't forget how that situation ended.) While I was glad that the director didn't attempt to justify Kim Shunpei's actions, it remained unclear what made him tick. Also, the narrator, his son, wasn't very close to him, so that was an odd choice. The period details were captured quite well, though the political angle seemed like a decoration. The film worked better as a personal story. So, like A, I believe that it's a good film, not a great one. (Tartan will release it in the U.S.)

Return to Film Talk