Look Both Ways (2005) (Australia)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Look Both Ways (2005) (Australia)

Postby hengcs » Mon May 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Director: Sarah Watt
Cast: Justine Clarke, William McInnes, Anthony Hayes, Daniela Farinacci

The official site
see
http://www.lookbothways.com.au/

Synopsis
The story is set in Adelaide (Australia) over a weekend, with several people's life crossing one another ...
e.g., the relationship between Meryl and Nick (the former has returned from her father's death, the latter is pre-empting death)
e.g., the career/relationship of Nick and Andy (partners in news reporting)
etc

My thoughts ...

- Given that the director is an animator, I have to agree that her use of art/animation amidst the film is rather well done and interesting ... however, some people may feel that the animation is kind of morbid and dark (with the female protagonist visualizing all the horrible accidents that could probably happen and death) ... to them, these animations may kind of "spoil" the reality of a film depicting life/drama ...

- Also remarkable is her dealing with the subject matter. Despite its morbid theme revolving around death, it is actually about living ... Quite a difficult topic to deal with, yet the film is peppered with both humor and tears, laughter and sadness, surprises and "predictability" ... you guess the ending, dont you?! hee hee ...

- To me and probably some people, it may be a very well written script (with a number of food for thoughts). However, to other people, it may be slightly contrived/manipulative in the sense that there are too many coincidences (with the people somehow related and crossing one another's path within such a short time frame) ... Whatever the case is, I think one should be more forgiving ... after all, given a 2 hour film, with so many characters, and so many events happening, some things simply have to compromise ...

- Finally, I like the soundtrack too.

Conclusion
Recommended.
hengcs

Re: Look Both Ways (2005) (Australia)

Postby Anasazie » Tue May 09, 2006 5:01 am

Quote:However, to other people, it may be slightly contrived/manipulative in the sense that there are too many coincidences (with the people somehow related and crossing one another's path within such a short time frame) ...

As i'm sure you've gathered, that's where i sit. This approach his be done many times before and many times much better. It's just unrealistic, people aren't linked in that way. Aside from the bad dialogue, wooden acting and clunky use of music, there wasn't enough animation, which was the only decent idea.
Anasazie

Postby hengcs » Tue May 16, 2006 3:44 am

Hmmm ...

an article in FIPRESCI

www.fipresci.org/festival..._keder.htm
hengcs

Postby Anasazie » Fri May 19, 2006 4:03 am

Is some critic supposed to give me a different opinion? I'm not really sure why you posted that? Because a few critics like a film that means it's undeniably good?
Anasazie

Return to Film Talk