Foreignfilms/british films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Foreignfilms/british films

Postby malius » Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:11 pm

I'm new to foreignfilms.com and I think it's terrific. But as a European I wonder what's really the target of the website. Obviously the focus is on non-US
movies, but are british movies considered foreign? If so, why are they so poorly represented on the top 100 (no 100% british movies in the top 50).
And what is Chinatown doing there anyway?
malius

Re: Foreignfilms/british films

Postby jason-3 » Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:12 pm

Thank you for your comments. You're right, CHINATOWN should not be on the Top 100 list. It will remain in the database (as we wish to include all of Mr Polanski's work), but from today we will filter out US films from the Top 100.
jason-3

Postby thegreatken1 » Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:53 am

I put British film in a different catagory. I don't consider a James Bond film as something foreign.
thegreatken1

Postby jason-3 » Sun Jan 27, 2002 4:05 am

We're still debating whether to include British films in the Top 100. Your comments are welcome. Some thoughts for discussion:

1) what about BLOW-UP, the magnificent film by Italian director Michelangelo Antonioni, produced and filmed in the UK, in English?

2) or what about more obscure or "British" British films, like BUTTERFLY KISS, by Michael Winterbottom?

3) what about Australian films? PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK? MAD MAX? GALLIPOLI?

4) what about MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE by Japanese director Nagisa Oshima? Produced by Japan, New Zealand, and the UK. Languages: English and Japanese.
jason-3

Postby sobejac16 » Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:51 am

Always USA since the late fifties, maybe I could say,
sobejac16

Postby sobejac16 » Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:17 am

Always USA since the late fifties, maybe I could say,
had been trying to make English films as ours since we all speak Englih. I certainly think is a big misconception
since England is definetily in Europe and is also a differnt
ferent culture, no matter how much we want to dream that we are an extension of England. Also seems that we have a tendency to mislead, like the terrible selection of the AFI
, AFI. When I was akid in Havana, it wasn't a place full on indians like the unfunny Bob Hope with insidious joke in one of his awful comedies from the 50's. We had very good reviewrs and English films were among the best foreign films: Comedies with Alec Guinness, David Lean until The Bridge Over the River Kwai, Carol Reed, in the sixties Richardson was English, also Karel Reisz, and more. Even the period of Hitchcock in England is BRITISH.Chinatown is an american film by a poland director..My Fair Lady is an English play with English stars but directed by George Cukor
if anybody needs more information or debate about this, Am more than happy to share with all.John Camporino
sobejac16

Postby john-5 » Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:24 pm

Talkin of films' nationality,how about "Lawrence of Arabia"?
Welsh hero,Irish,Egyptian and Mexican stars,set in Jordan,English director,French composer,American funding= great British film?
john-5

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:44 pm

How can you define a film by Nation anymore as Global travel being so easy these days,you tend to find most Euro stars appearing in no end of American films on a regular basis.A Huge amount of American films are Loaded Heavily with British Actors and Most of America`s best films are Directed by British directors and other Europeans.The only way you can appreciate a country`s interest in a film,is to get to know The Nationalities of the Directors,Production Crew and actors and not just assume that they are American.I Think a lot of people in the States would be quite suprised to find out how much the Europeans play a large part in the Business.It is quite obvious now that America is realising that Europe is a good and profitable market and are now funding a large number of Uk and Euro films (Apart from France,who would rather have the Devil himself have anything to do with French cinema,than Americans) Ie Gladiator,Bridget Jones are 99 % British Films,except the Finance-and are both Oficially listed as US Films.Mind you tit for tat,Superman films are Officially listed as Uk films,Confused Yet,I Am.We would all be better to judge a film as a Venture or Collaboration of Many Countries Inputs rather than 1 country who has the Cash and puts up the Money.Of Course money is important but if it means the Us starting to get credit for all Euro films,purely for Finance reasons only,then it will only fuel the general feelings in Europe that America want`s Global Domination.I Align myself to the French who continue to Produce the best Cinema with a conveyor belt of goodies every year.This is always backed up by the fact that most French films and Genres have been copied by America and other countries on a regular basis.When i list my films as to where they come from,i do it on a points for situation ie Financed by,Director,Production Crews,Actors,Settings etc and give each Country points for their contributions.It`s so easy like that and just for General info any UK Film with a Budget of over £ 2 million is Basically American Funded.Although Brit film company Film4 is now starting to make and fund film in the States.WHAT a confusing world it all is...JIMMYFLOYD HASSELBAINK007@AOL.COM Sorry no time for a spell check
HASSELBAINK007

Postby ananda » Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:35 pm

Has anyone seen The Parole Officer? Damn good. Funny.
ananda

Return to Film Talk