Naboer (Next Door) (2005) (Norway)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Naboer (Next Door) (2005) (Norway)

Postby hengcs » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:43 am

Director: Pl Sletaune
Cast: Kristoffer Joner, Cecilie A. Mosli, Julia Schacht, Anna Bache-Wiig, Michael Nyqvist

* given that it is a thriller, anything can be a possible spoiler, even though I have tried NOT to have any at all ... read at your own risk ... hiaks hiaks *

Synopsis:
The film begins with the split of John and his girlfriend, Ingrid, but the audience is never told why ... When John returns home one day, he is asked by two of his attractive female neighbours to lend a hand ... The thriller begins ...

My thoughts ...
-- The cast is most commendable. In a way, you will be bought by the lead actor ... wondering if he is a victim or a culprit ... and at the end of it all, you can't help having mixed emotions about him ... how about the other 2 gals ... wow ... they can be really scary and chilling ... * shudder *

-- The soundtrack helps to create an intense atmosphere ... and the editing is good ... with "history/past events" being filled in only when necesary ... while sometimes, we think we can guess what happens/will happen ... sometimes, we can't ...

* end of possible spoiler *

What could be better ...

* possible major spoiler, if you are a good guesser *

-- Before the end of the film, I thought one of the less convincing features was the "weird" and "awkward" designs of houses, with all the hidden walkways, hidden rooms, etc ... however, at the end of the film ... I did not find this a problem ...

* end of possible major spoiler *

Conclusion:
Recommended ... what a thriller ... though I have to qualify that it can be kind of "sick" at times ...

Mainly credited to the excellent soundtrack, the great cast, and the editing ...

PS: To me, it passes off more as a commercial film rather than an art film ...
hengcs

Return to Film Talk