Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia) (2006) (HK)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia) (2006) (HK)

Postby hengcs » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:38 am

Director: Ronny Yu
Cast: Jet Li, Nakamura Shido, Collin Chou, Shun Li

The official website
see
http://www.fearlessthemovie.com/

My thoughts ...

-- The actions are well choreographed and slightly more authentic looking (as opposed to flying hear and there) although they do not break any new ground. Complementing it, the pacing is excellent. Hotblooded teens and guys seeking an action film will not be disappointed ... in fact, some violent scenes will make you shrink ...

-- The story is based on Huo Yuan Jia's life.
... It is interesting to see the scenes when he was young, but how he finally convinced his dad to let him practise martial arts was skipped over ...
... In his adult days, the "life changing" events are dramatic ...
In a way, the "fast forwarded" events target at "mass appeal" rather than "critics' taste") ...

-- While most audience will get the message(s) and like the message(s), some may find them a bit too "non subtle" ...
i.e., what is the purpose of practising martial arts
i.e., the true value of friendship
i.e., the purpose of life ...
(in fact, Jet Li wanted to make the film due to the high suicidal rates among teens)
etc

-- Reportedly, all the scenes with Michelle Yeoh have been edited out (She is filmed in the modern time ... something related to the promotion of martial arts as an Olympics event ... and she starts narrating this history). Pardon me, but I thought it was a GOOD decision ... for the current pacing is well maintained, and those seeking actions will not be disappointed. However, if you are a defendant of no editing, the DVD will restore the original version ...

-- In terms of cinematography, I like the scene at the lake ... wow ...

-- In terms of theme song, it is simply a strategic marketing move to have Jay Chou chanting away ... whether you like it will depends on whether you are his fan ... hee hee

Conclusion:
Recommended ... esp. for "energetic" teens and people who appreciate real martial arts (as opposed to "flying") ... or if you are simply a supporter of Jet Li ... afterall, it is "widely publicized" to be Jet Li's last martial arts film, so how can you not watch it?
hengcs

Return to Film Talk