BBC4 Asian Invasion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: BBC4 Asian Invasion

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:01 am

John, it always amazes me how most presenters on TV are really bloody annoying including Mr Woss, must be part of the job description.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby chris aberystwyth » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:22 am

thanks for that Trev, ive been wanting to see Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... And Spring and a few of the others on there. I have the same problems with wossy, his reviews are far too often ill-informed and when he does insert a film that isn't hollywood mainstream you get the feeling he's doing it to sound credible as a critic yet doesnt quite make the grade.
chris aberystwyth

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:27 pm

The Geisha documentary was very interesting especially noting how little the system has changed down the years. This is the type of career that requires absolute dedication, certainly no good if you want the type of job you can switch off from as being a maiko and/or geisha is your life.

Well worth seeing.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Johndav » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks for all the hard work, Trev. I'm going to have to concentrate properly on the season. TV presenters' job description; something i'd thought about- i think it's very often simply about self-confidence, often being full of yourself, nothing whatsoever to do with talent or intellect. Too many shallow big heads wose main aim in life is fame, if you ask me. Not that i'd turn down the fame + money, mind!
Johndav

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:57 pm

Cheers John, if you missed it, try and catch the repeat screening of Geisha Girl late tonight, I know you'll appreciate it.

The Art Safari programme was also interesting but as with most modern art there's plenty of bullshit to dig through.

I Samurai is also repeated tonight, enlightening, entertaining and humorous.

Good weekend for Japanese viewing, Nausicaa and Ping Pong tomorrow, Pom Poko Sunday so I'll be happy.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:55 am

So, anything new?
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:56 am

There were no documentaries to accompany the look at Hong Kong or South Korean cinema, I'm sure they could have dug something up.

Far too much time was spent on pointless interviews with Stephen Chow and Park Chan-wook. A lot of clips were promised but not many were actually shown. When scenes were shown they contained too many spoiler shots (for people who may not have seen the films mentioned) and there was way too much of Jonathon Ross, mind you in my opinion 5 minutes is way too much.

In a brief interview with Kim Ki-duk, he told of a scenerio for a film he's planning where the central performance will be a gun?

Great free advertising for Tartan and Optimum Asia but virtually nothing new for even the casual fan of Asian cinema. A wasted opportunity but that's no different than I and others had expected.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Previous

Return to Film Talk