Do you prefer a foreign film to be dubbed or subtitled

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Do you prefer a foreign film to be dubbed or subtitled

Postby mrandrews » Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:41 pm

Sorry if this already came up, I'm doing a report on this and I need to know opinions and reasons for those. Also if anybody knows where I can find out what a localizer of films thinks about this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.
mrandrews

Re: Do you prefer a foreign film to be dubbed or subtitled

Postby thegreatken1 » Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:51 am

A foreign film is always good subtitled. I hate some Hong Kong that are dubbed, like some of Jackie Chan's flicks.
thegreatken1

Postby annelibrary » Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:33 pm

I prefer subtitles to dubbing. The reason is that I prefer to hear the original actor's voice and the expression in it. (Many times the dubbing sounds flat and lifeless.)
annelibrary

Postby stof_ » Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:51 pm

Nothing kills the atmosphere of a movie like a cheesy dubbing. It's impossible to ignore the fact that the sound you hear is different from what is coming out of the persons mouth. Though people that are not used to them often say subtitles are hard to read, I find that it is not only easy to read them, but afterwards when looking back on the movie you forget that they were speaking in a different laungage.
stof_

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:38 pm

I HATE DUBBING
john-5

Postby somegreatmovies » Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:18 am

Though I agree for the most part on this subject, sometimes I feel certain films are better dubbed. For example Japanese Animation and martial arts films (it was quite a treat to watch a DVD of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and watch the fight scenes without any distractions). I could easily support dubbing for a film like Il Bidone (one of my all time favorites), because your watching Broderick Crawford speak English, dubbed into Italian, subtitled back to English. Anyway, in some cases you don't know if the person writing the subtitles is doing the film justice (the subtitles for Open City have always felt a little lacking to me, but as I don't know Italian, I could never tell). By the way, there was a letter sent to American distributors a few years ago by foreign directors (Almodovar, for one) that supported dubbing, if for no other reason than more people would show up (I would rather a person see a film like Cold Water dubbed, than to avoid a subtitled version altogether). At some point this insistence on subtitles verges on snobbery on the part of cine-elitists with a great big celluloid stick up their collective…
somegreatmovies

Postby ndibra » Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:34 am

Most definitly SUBTITLED.. You loose the emotion and the fluent accent and feeling of the words when dubbed..
ndibra

Postby Chickp1017 » Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:58 am

In my opinion, nothing is more IRRITATING than a dubbed movie!
Chickp1017

Postby jason-3 » Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:15 am

Let's take a look from the other side. Big-budget Hollywood films almost always play with subtitles in overseas markets (except for animated features - where many of the viewers are too young to read). Most viewers apparently like hearing the voices of the actors.
jason-3

Postby KC.Woman » Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:17 am

If you want your Hong Kong, and other Asian films with an original language option, unedited, and with the original music score, please let Disney/Miramax know via this online petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/warthkf/petition.html

Thank you so much for your support.

Sherry

KC.Woman

Next

Return to Film Talk