Or (2004) (Israel)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Or (2004) (Israel)

Postby hengcs » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:56 pm

Director: Keren Yedaya
Cast: Dana Ivgy, Ronit Elkabetz

At the Cannes Film Festival 2004, it garnered the Camera d'Or for the Best First Feature Film
see
www.festival-cannes.com/n...=index.php

The official website is here
www.kino.com/or/

In a sentence, the story revolves around a young girl (named Or) who worked laboriously to rid her mother of prostitution on the streets

What is good?
-- The gritty realism of the entire film. It is not judgmental about its various characters, but simply relate how society is there are some grave messages about the plight of women, the depressing state of society in a way, it also challenged the notion of choice and choiceless do we always or really have a choice in life?
-- In my humble opinion, the film ends well, but it is gonna remind you of some other films. Unfortunately, telling you would constitute a major spoiler hiaks hiaks hiaks
-- I thought the realism is also corroborated by the use of minimum camera movement and minimum music.
-- Last, the two female leads carried their roles very well! You will be convinced by their performance.

What may be problematic
-- Much of the socio-political issues (if any) have to be inferred but hey, look at it this way, the story could happen anywhere
-- As the first half of the film is more about their daily life and the second half more plot driven, some may wonder where it is going but hey, patience does pay off I actually thought the initial half helps to provide depth to the characters, their relationship, their dilemma and struggle

Conclusion:
In sum, I recommend the film!
Even if you do not understand the socio-political issues involved, the film tells a nice story about a mother and a daughter
hengcs

Re: Or (2004) (Israel)

Postby trevor826 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:08 am

Sounds intriguing, the only thing is you've got me wondering what films were similar in terms of ending, at the moment I'm considering three, 1 American, 1 Asian, 1 European all with very different endings but any in a way could apply.

A Korean film is definitely favourite though.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Re: Or (2004) (Israel)

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:09 am

Winner of the Camera dOr ("Best First Film") and the Critics Week prize at 2004 Cannes film festival, Israeli filmmaker Keren Yedaya's Or (My Treasure) (Mon trsor) paints a gritty and uncompromising portrait of a mother-daughter relationship through which it ultimately points toward pertinent issues facing the society at large. Set in an unsavory part of Tel Aviv, the film concerns a hard-working 17-year-old Or (Dana Ivgi, from Broken Wings [2002]) and her immature prostitute mother Ruthie (Ronit Elkabetz, from Late Marriage [2001]) who is recovering from her latest bout with drug addiction. Or is desperate to find another line of work for her mother, also addicted to her profession but less for monetary reasons than to fulfill her desire for affection. But the teenager doesnt quite realize that her own nightly heavy-petting sessions with neighborhood boys serve the same purpose for her. Yedayas long, stationary shots are at once intimate and distant to this grim reality, forcing the viewers to interpret the complexity of her protagonists and their decisions. Her images often dismember the characters, not only stressing their fractured lives, but in Ruthies case also accentuating the scars of her rapidly decaying flesh (the filmmaker then contrasts this aesthetical choice with a bold, seemingly never-ending shot of Ors nubile body in a shower). While Or (My Treasure) doesnt hesitate to capture the banality of life in all of its glory, the films specificity with moments strong enough to unravel it is quite unique and powerful. From Or internally questioning her self-worth after the decision of her lovers mother to eventually staring at Ruthie and finding someone quite different, Yedaya measures her descent to be perceptible enough to ultimately unleash an accusatory gaze, one which is perhaps also filled with shame.

*After premiering at Cannes, OR (MY TREASURE) went onto play at festivals such as Vancouver, New York, and London. The film was released theatrically in the U.S. by Kino International and it is now available on DVD.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk