Achim von Borries' LOVE IN THOUGHTS (2004)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Achim von Borries' LOVE IN THOUGHTS (2004)

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:03 am

The emerging popularity of German Cinema, at least in the international markets, could perhaps more easily be linked with an actor, rather than a bevy of talented young filmmakers. Daniel Brhl, the star of the breakthrough hit Goodbye Lenin! (2003), has become a much sought after commodity (not unlike Mexican actor Gael Garca Bernal), and many of his subsequent films, including The Edukators (2004) and Joyeux Nol (2005), have received the sort of attention that they probably wouldnt have otherwise. Brhl's presence in the breathtakingly beautiful Love in Thoughts (Was ntzt die Liebe in Gedanken), arguably his best so far, has most likely helped it to reach our shores, though without much attention. Directed by Achim von Borries, the film starts off as a whodunit as we watch a young man (Brhl) being interrogated by the police about his involvement in a suicide case. But then it slowly materializes as something quite unique: a sexually charged, yet unabashedly poetic story about requited love and its tragic implications. Paul, the aforementioned detainee who happens to be a gifted poet, narrates the proceedings which, set in 1927, mostly unfold over a weekend at the summer cottage belonging to the bourgeois parents of his best friend Gnther (August Diehl) and his beautiful, bohemian sister Hilde (Anna Maria Mhe). As these "dreamers" succumb to their beauteous surroundings, so does Borries camera with Malick-esque naturalism, requiring every streak of light and sound to exude sensuality amid threatening to unbalance the emotional equilibrium. The trio are eventually joined by their friends from Berlin, setting up the stage for a party sequence which should draw comparisons with one from Assayas LEau froide (1994). The constantly shifting dynamics, as someone else enters the picture claiming loyalties from both Gnther and Hilde, are beautifully played out in an environment which turns out to be at once both vast and claustrophobic. Love in Thoughts is based on a true story (reportedly a notorious one), which is bound to heighten ones attention to certain details, so perhaps it wouldve been better off as being timeless, much like love.

*LOVE IN THOUGHTS premiered at the 2004 Sundance film festival before playing at the Berlin fest. The film didn't receive theatrical distribution in the U.S., but it's now available on DVD from Wolfe Video.
arsaib4

Re: Achim von Borries' LOVE IN THOUGHTS (2004)

Postby A » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:16 pm

Fine you liked "Love in Thoughts". I went to see it last year at a german cinema, because I loved Borries` earlier film "England!". It wasn`t widely discussed around here, though critics seemed to like it.
I watched it with a friend, and we were both bored by it and annoyed by the characters. Maybe I should see it again, but I didn`t like the acting, though August Diehl is one of my favorite german actors, and I always like to watch the young Jana Pallaske (Elli in the film). Daniel Bruehl had some good moments - his best being imo "No Regrets" from 2001 - though I don`t find him as fascinating an actor as some other Germans. I don`t know if you`ve encountered them, but Juergen Vogel (Life Is All You Get, Goodbye Lenin!) or the outstanding David Striesow (Lights, Marseille, Bungalow) should be better known.
But the cinematography was really excellent, I especially liked the lighting.
I hope to cover some more recent german films in my long announced and upcoming "German films" thread.
A

Postby hengcs » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:33 am

The official website
see
http://www.liebe-in-gedanken.de/

As I have watched it some time ago, pardon my random thoughts ... if only they were love in thoughts ... ha ha ha
* naughty grin *

I especially like the "feel" and "mood" of the film ... rather poetic and dreamlike ... is idyllic the word?

The cast is good and so is the cinematography.

However, in terms of story telling, I feel that the film is not gripping enough ... and is not "daring" enough ... like some of the other films ...

Conclusion:
While I like the film, I thought THE DREAMERS is better ...
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:54 pm

I haven't seen England! but I'd like to.

I you remember, August Diehl had a small role in Lichter. Btw, Schmid's latest will play at Berlin in a couple of months.
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:32 am

England! is only available on VHS (without subs) as far as I know, but hopefully this will change in the future.
Almost forgot that August Diehl played in "Lichter". Yes, I really liked this storyline.
Maybe I`ll watch his newest film at the Berlin film festival, but as it`s going to get an official release anyway it`s not probable. I wonder if he can top "Lichter" which I liked very much.
A

Return to Film Talk