Films I wish could be made..

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Films I wish could be made..

Postby gululv » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:10 pm

.. or "suggestions for different directors what their next film should be about".

I read an article about Herzog where he talked about making a documentary about Michael Jackson. I wish he will do that! It could be a great film!
I wish Victor Erice to make whatever he wants to. He is a genius, and only money prevents him from making his fourth film.
I wish Kaurismki would keep his humour and everything that's typical for him, but that he would move into different territory in his next film, for instance politics. "The Man Without a Past" was far from as good as films like "Ariel" and "Hamlet Goes Business".
For David Lynch I would advice him to make a horror film, because I think he could make the scariest of all films he had tried to.
It would be interesting to see Kiarostami making a film in the Western world, about the Western world.
Mike Leigh could make great historical films, I think, like Rossellini did in the 1960's.
And I wish Eustache, Tarkovskij and Kieslowski to rise up from the dead and make films again.

Re: Films I wish could be made..

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:21 am

*Herzog is in the process of making a feature film with Christian Bale.

*Victor Erice's fourth film titled "La promesa de Shanghai" (based on the novel "El embrujo de Shanghai") was abondoned because the producer objected to the length of the script which was destined to become a 3 hr film. Unbelievable.

Bela Tarr can't finish his latest because the producer died.

*I agree with you on The Man Without a Past.

*I was scared by Mulholland Drive. No, really.

*Kiarostami made a film with Ken Loach and Ermanno Olmi called Tickets.

Let's just hope that the great filmmakers of today get the support they need to do what they want.

Postby hengcs » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:04 am

I only hope that directors would be more adventurous and try jumping out of their usual frame/style to film a very different film. Sometimes, they are so recognized by their style that it becomes too predictable or boring even. hiaks hiaks ...

Postby gululv » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:49 am

I have met Kaurismki once, during his annual film festival in Northern Finland. We shaked hands, and none of us said anything to each other. I observed him for twenty minutes. He was quiet and drank beer all the time. He is very much like a character in his films.

Postby hengcs » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:54 am

Hi gululv

Do you stay in Finland?
Are you a Finnish?

Postby A » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:45 am

Very interesting suggestions, and I certainly agree on Eustache, Tarkovski and Kieslowski. What a great and way too early loss.
I just hope Ken McMullen will start making films again, because after having Jerzy Skolimowski finally making a new film after 15 years, makes me believe in almost anything.
Can't believe the Victor Erice story though... what a @#%$ idiot this producer must be!

I also wish like hengcs, to see many directors I like switch their style and way of filmmaking and do something completely new, but that would probably mean to change their personalitiy.
But some experimenting would be great, though i guess there isn't really any money available for them, if they don't follow in what they've already done. Which producer would invest in Hou hsia-hsien if he would say that he wants to direct an action-film next?

Return to Film Talk