What films do you really want to see but not yet on DVD?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

What films do you really want to see but not yet on DVD?

Postby Sara » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:55 pm

There are several on my list:

Viridiana - Bunuel
Ugetsu -Mizoguchi
Pickpocket - Bresson
Playtime - Tati
The Exterminating Angel - Bunuel
The Virgin Spring - Bergman
Stalker - Tarkovsky
Spirit of the Beehive - Erice
The Conformist- Bertolucci
Vampyr, Ordet, Day of Wrath - Dreyer
Mouchette - Bresson
The Passenger - Antonioni
Sansho the Bailiff - Mizoguchi

There are others, too. But that is enough from me for now.

(Some of you may be able to get some of these on DVD depending on where you live. But for me, in the US, they are not yet out.)

What films do you want to see that you can't get?

Sara
Sara

Re: What films do you really want to see but not yet on DVD?

Postby gululv » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:46 pm

Ugetsu -Mizoguchi: Was recently released on DVD, Region 1, I think.
Pickpocket - Bresson - Exists on Region 2.
Playtime - Tati - Exists on Region 2.
Stalker - Tarkovsky - Exists on Region 2
Spirit of the Beehive - Erice - Region 2
Vampyr, Ordet, Day of Wrath - Dreyer - At least the last two Dreyer films you mention are in the Criterion Collection.
Mouchette - Bresson - Region 2.
The Passenger - Antonioni - Was released in Japan on DVD, but now out of print. But you can get in on Ebay if you're lucky. Anyway, they say that they are planning to release it in the US soon. This is maybe the film I want to see most of all films I haven't seen.
Sansho the Bailiff - Mizoguchi - Not on DVD yet, but the BFI VHS has a great picture quality.

Many of the films that I have wanted to see for a long time is being released these days: Touki-Bouki, Vidas Secas, and The Killer of Sheep in December.

I want to see these films on DVD:
Manila: in the Claws of Darkness (Brocka)
Fate (Kelemen)
They Live By Night (N. Ray)
Berlin, Alexanderplatz (Fassbinder)
The South (Erice)
The Story of the Late Chrysanthemums (Mizoguchi)
Oshima and Imamura's films from the 60's (a few exists, but none of those I want to see the most)
The Puppetmaster and City of Sadness (Hou) - I think there is a "Puppetmaster" DVD, but I've heard that it's best to avoid it.
gululv

Postby Sara » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:28 pm

gululv,
Thanks for reminding me that I, too, want to see The Story of Late Chrysanthemums!

What is the Killer of Sheep about? I've heard the title but don't know who directed it or anything about it.

Hope our wish lists come true soon.

Sara
Sara

Postby wpqx » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:34 pm

Killer of Sheep is from Charles Burnett. It's an American independent film from 1978, highly praised, and a precursor to the work of Spike Lee. It was also selected by the National Society of Film Critics as an essential.

All the films on your list Sara are readily available, some already on DVD. The only long shot is The Passenger, which good news, it is recently being re-released in theaters. I'm not sure where this will lead, as I was convinced it would never come out on dvd, but theatrically it is showing. I do have a copy of the now OOP Japanese edition, so I'm at least happy. I will agree on The Virgin Spring. I stopped hunting out Bergman VHS because everytime I did, Criterion wound up putting out a much better version on DVD, so I just wait for them to get around to it, same with Kurosawa films.

Still from Bergman I want to see:

Summer With Monika (1951)
Face to Face (1975) - the full TV version, they did it with Fanny and Alexander and Scenes From A Marriage so why not?

As for Kurosawa I'd like to see Sanshuro Sugata (1943), and the Idiot (1951), I certainly didn't need another release of Ran.

The Devil Probably (1977) - Robert Bresson
Spirit of the Beehive (1973) - Victor Erice

I agree fully with the early Oshima and Immamura films, definitely some must sees from those two, and not a lot to pick from, even on VHS.

Top of my list of things to see are . . .

Hour of the Furnaces (1969) - Solonas
A Brighter Summer Day (1991) - Edward Yang
To Die in Madrid (1963) - Frederic Rossif
The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987) - Kazuo Hara
The Silent World (1956) - Louis Malle, Jacques Cousteau
Kings of the Road (1976) - Wim Wenders
Satan's Tango (1994) - Bela Tarr
I Even Met Happy Gypsies (1967) - Aleksandar Petrovic

That's enough for now, I'll just go back to my corner and weep that these will never be released.
wpqx

Postby Sara » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:05 pm

wpqx,

I rent DVDs from Netflix, and none of the films I listed are there (except Dreyer's Vampyr which I was not aware of.)

I have taped some of the Bunuel I mentioned from TCM (TV) and some other films including Ugetsu, but the quality is not the same taping them from TV, and I have not yet watched them. Still, they are, as you said, available. At least those are. But not a lot of the others...

I check Criterian's upcoming DVDs from time to time. And I think someone on this forum told me Pickpocket was going to be released over here sometime this winter.

Thanks for telling me about Killer of Sheep. Maybe IFC or TCM will show it sometime and I can tape it.

My DVD player only plays region 1.

And let us hope Passenger (with the great Jack Nicholson in the early days!) will finally make it to DVD.

The two Bergman films you want to see I am not familiar with. Not did I know about Louis Malle's The Silent World.

It is wonderful the movies we have available to us, but it also fun to anticipate and hope for the movies we can't yet see.

Sara
Sara

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:28 pm

My most wanted (and ones I can't believe haven't been released) are:

Raise the Red Lantern.
Ju Dou
Red Sorghum
To Live - all by Zhang Yimou

Red Firecracker, Green Firecracker - Ping He

Cyclo - Tran Anh Hung

Anything from Hou Hsiao-hsien

We're also missing some of the best Bresson films in the UK as well.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Sara » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:54 pm

We can't get Red Sorgham or Raise the Red Lantern either. At least Netflix does not have them and they usually have just about everything out on DVD, region 1.

But they have a lot of Hou Hsiao-hsien. (I must confess, Trevor, I rented his Puppetmaster a while ago, and just could not get through it. I was so excited about it because the great critic Jonathan Rosenbaum praised it highly. But I could not quite get into it. Maybe another time...)

Why don't they standardize all DVDs and all DVD players so we could all have everything each country has access to?

Sara
Sara

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:55 pm

Region-Free players are readily available in the U.S. now. They just require a pin # to be added in through the remote and then you can play any disc from anywhere in the world.

gululv has done a good job breaking down the list. Wpqx's list is extraordinary as usual. I also think of Sam Fuller's White Dog when Burnett's film is mentioned.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:45 pm

Why don't they standardize all DVDs and all DVD players so we could all have everything each country has access to?

There are economic and political reasons for the regional variance, to make more money the films are licenced to different distributors around the world who can only supply a particular area, eg most of the Bergman films are distributed in the UK by Tartan while in the US, Criterion have the rights to the majority.

Different countries also have there own levels of censorship and that comes in many forms whether for violence, nudity and sex or political, these again are affected by strict regional control. Of course, piracy and imports throw all these rules out the window.

Governments and distribution companies do not want region free players but as arsaib4 said, most players have a code you can find quite easily on the net and once you've input the code, voila you're region free.

Sara, have you checked on the net to see if there is a code available for your player?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:36 am

Well Trevor, New Yorker released Cyclo, and MGM released To Live here in the US, so Mr. region free player, you should be able to get them.

I agree about Red Sourghum, I've actually never seen the film (about the only Yimou film I haven't seen), just because I've been patiently awaiting the DVD release.

As for the Bergman I mentioned. Face to Face brought Bergman an Oscar nomination in 1976 for best director, and was during a period when he could do little wrong, so I'm excited to see it. Summer With Monika is considered by many to be his first significant film, and since my knowledge of early Bergman is scarce, it made my list.

I have seen the Story of the Late Chrysanthemum, and I wasn't impressed by it, in fact I found it the weakest of the 10 Mizoguchi films I've seen. If I were you I'd be much more anticipating Osaka Elegy (another earlier film of his) which is imo a much better picture.

The problem with region free DVD's however is that there isn't a great format for ordering them, and they can get damn expensive with shipping. Plus in regards to foreign films you also have to make sure it's available in subtitles.

I'd like to see someone (Kino perhaps?) restore some of Victor Sjostrom's silent films, particularly the Phantom Carriage, and whatever else is still in existence. Reading a great deal about film history the films of Sweden's golden era are cited quite frequently and it's an area that I, as well as most other people, remain fairly unfamiliar with. Same goes for French Impressionism. I know that many films from Abel Gance still exist, but nothing is on DVD in this country, and in the case of Napoleon, that is criminal. But other films of the era, from L'Herbier or Jean Epstein, I'd love to see on DVD. Maybe release a whole "French Impressionism" boxed set? As of yet, I still have heard nothing about any of those films being released.
wpqx

Next

Return to Film Talk