What films do you really want to see but not yet on DVD?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: What films do you really want to see but not yet on DVD?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:11 am

I want to see 1900(The Bertolluci Film with De Niro and Depradieu). I heard its out on DVD but its still not out where i live
Unregistered(d)

Postby A » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:25 pm

Didn`t we have this thread somewhere already???
Anyway, with me it`s everything by Jean Eustache, Sarunas Bartas, Sergei Paradjanov (restored prints), old Mamoru Oshii (Angel`s Egg, etc.), Walerian Borowczyck, Jerzy Skoilimowski, Ken McMullen, old Lubitsch (early 20s), more Mizoguchi and Naruse, "Nouvelle Vague" by Godard, more pre-fifth generation Chinese films, more by Mauritz Stiller, etc.,etc.
And 1900 would be great of course. Maybe they even find a longer version.
A

Postby gululv » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:54 am

I forgot one director I think should be seen on DVD soon: Kira Muratova! I wish to see her films from the 60's and 70's (Getting to Know the Big Wide World, Brief Encounters..) but most of all "The Asthenic Syndrome" from 1989. "Passions" exists on DVD, and I should maybe buy it. Mark Cousins claims in his "Story of Film" that it is her best film. I also wish to see Eustaches "The Mother and the Whore", Akerman's "Jeanne Dielman.." and "From the East", Walerian Borowczyk's animation films (Les jeux des anges, Renaissance..) and his "Blanche" and "Goto, Island of Love" (I saw Blanche on a terrible DVD-R copy, recorded from Australian TV with parts of a kung fu film at the end, and it deserves to be seen again. Goto, Island of Love is on vhs in England, but I have read that important colour sequences is missing there, so I don't want to buy it)..
I'm so lucky that I have both "Kings of the Road" and "Alice in the Cities" on video. Both are some of my all time favourites, and they should be released on DVD as soon as possible as they are some of the best films from that period in German film history.
gululv

Postby Iserp » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:32 pm

isnt Viridiana on DVD? I've got it from a collection of a newspaper
Iserp

Postby trevor826 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:32 pm

Link to the other thread on this subject:

DVD WISH LIST

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:08 am

you're going to confuse people with your re-directs
wpqx

Postby Unregistered(d) » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:58 pm

Firstly, "Thanks" Sara for reminding me of " The Conformist" I have it on video when I copied it from The BBC television, who showed it years ago now. Time to dig it out again.

Obviously there are lots of films I'd love to see again but don't exist now. However, a very recent french film I'd like to see on dvd is " Le Roi Danse". This movie introduced me to the music of Jean - Batiste Lully. A sumptuous film about the relationship between Lully, Louis XlV & Moliere.
Unregistered(d)

Postby mlepage » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:08 am

Red Sorghum is one of my favourite Yimou films. I'd also like to see Yellow Earth again. Neither appears to be on DVD.

I'd like to see Chronopolis (animated).
mlepage

Postby hengcs » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:16 am

Hi,
If you understand Chinese and do NOT need subtitles, the DVD for Yellow Earth is available.
hengcs

Previous

Return to Film Talk