One Day in Europe (2005) (Germany/Spain)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

One Day in Europe (2005) (Germany/Spain)

Postby hengcs » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:23 am

Director: Hannes Sthr
Cast: Megan Gay, Luidmila Tsvetkova, Florian Lukas, Erdal Yildiz, Pter Scherer, Miguel de Lira, Boris Arquier, Rachida Brakni

This film was among the nominees in Berlin Film Festival 2005.

The official website (in English and German) is here
www.onedayineurope.de/
see the trailer
www.onedayineurope.de/htm...er_en.html

It relates 4 stories in 4 different places (Russia (Moscow), Turkey (Istanbul), Spain (Santiago de Compestela), and Germany (Berlin)) ... But hey, there are other *nationalities/ethnicities* being depicted too ... so don't miss it ...
All the 4 stories revolve around "thefts/robbery" and filing police reports ... on the day when there is a soccer match between Spain and Turkey which is held in Russia ...

What I like ...
-- It is rather fun/enjoyable to watch ... a crowd pleaser indeed ...

... On the surface, it may simply be 4 shorts about "thefts/robbery", trying to claim insurance, and attempting to file police reports ... * hmmm, I never know there is such a "trick" * ... oops ... I hope not many people try it after watching the film ... ha ha ha ...
... Tangentially, it also asks how helpful one should be and how helpless one could be ...
... However, if you are willing to look beyond the surface, it does prompt you to think what really identifies/classifies a European ... how similar are they ... how different are they ... can you really tell them apart? ... what is really their personality, attitude, culture, etc ... do we stereotype others? ... are our stereotypes justified?
... If you like soccer, it also highlights the craze over soccer in Europe ...

What could be better ...
-- I am not sure if anybody will be offended in any way (esp. if they are being ludicrously or negatively depicted) or if people will look beyond the stereotypes ... but hey, that is at least one objective of the film ...

Conclusion:
It is likely going to be a crowd pleaser ... However, if you are willing to ponder further ... it prompts you to ask what actually identifies Europe and how unique/diverse each nationality is within Europe ... In sum, I recommend it
hengcs

Return to Film Talk