Do you prefer a foreign film to be dubbed or subtitled

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Do you prefer a foreign film to be dubbed or subtitled

Postby mani_fh » Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:17 pm

Most definitly SUBTITLED, it got be the original version for you to be feeling the actors...
mani_fh

Postby AragonDon05 » Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:22 am

I'd gladly take subtitles any day. I hate dubbing. Not only does it take away a big chunk from the film, I prefer to hear the actors voices and emotions. I think they should do away with dubbing.
AragonDon05

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:53 pm

Subs are Superb-i am lucky as i speak French so i get away with it-Dubbed is Awful-Ie Crimson Rivers on Dvd Jean Reno Vincent Cassel and Nadia Fares all use their real voices in English No Probs but then the Local Police all talk in American Accents and to top that it`s usually a Strong New York Accent.I Am biased but i prefer the English Accents in French Cinema not American as they require a bit of Class,the French are Class Orientated along with the Uk so it makes Sense-No What i mean
HASSELBAINK007

Postby arteagamm » Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:57 pm

Definetly subtitles. Italian For Beginners is an excellent example. The movie would have no meaning if it was dubbed.
arteagamm

Postby Ockien » Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:14 am

I found out that the american movies that get shown in other non-english speaking countries, are always dubbed and not only that but when the dubber dies they replace him/her with a soundalike.
Ockien

Postby mackybaca » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:46 am

Definitely subtitled! I was fortunate to watch both Crouching Tiger dubbed and subtitled and the dubbed version had ZhangZiyi's voice sound like a little girl! GGGRRRR!!!! Good thing the subtitled version came.
mackybaca

Postby ruthgree » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:57 am

Subtitled! I saw a dubbed "Saturday Night Fever" in Italy years ago when it was first released, and the John Travolta character, Tony, had been given a deep, debonair, Marcello Mastroanni voice. You totally lost the nuances of his dance partner's attempt to lose her Brooklyn accent after moving to Manhattan.
ruthgree

Postby m.santosus » Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:56 am

I absolutely prefer subtitles to dubbing, which always seems what it is a disembodied voice. You are also only getting half a performance when you can not hear the actor's voice. They also always seem to pick such irritating voices. I also like to learn and listen to words in another language.
m.santosus

Postby bdk160 » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:12 pm

Subtitles are my choice, for the reasons above. Inflection of voice with the scene gives a realistic 'feel'. But.....
I find alot of subtitles are poorly done. Too fast, Definetly paraphrased (I know it is quite unrealistic to have every word 'translated'). To try to keep with the scene and glance at the dialouge can be frustrating. But given the choice I will go with the subtitles. Some dvds offer both which is ideal. (To me)
bdk160

Postby joelc » Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:01 pm

I refuse to watch a dubbed movie.
joelc

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk