Daremo Shiranai (Nobody knows) (Japan) (2004)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Daremo Shiranai (Nobody knows) (Japan) (2004)

Postby groom daniel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:28 am

Nobody Knows was really a 90 minute film drawn out over 2 hours. The problem with the second act is that you know something bad is going to happen at the climax -- although it was much worse in real life -- and while building towards that climax, Kore-eda waits and waits, taking Akira through the same experiences over and over again. That may work rhythmically, but nothing that happens in the second half of act two adds to the emotional life of the film. We've already seen and felt what Kore-eda details. "Small" films like Nobody Knows are the hardest films to write; Kore-eda had a great small film in there, but he belabours some of his points & if you'd been in the cinema that I was in, you would've been disappointed at the reaction to the film. People weren't moved like they should've been. I LOVED Nobody Knows, but what you need to remember is that audiences are quick to sympathise with characters and they DID sympathise with Akira, but somewhere along the way they lost their empathy for him & I think it happened in the middle, where Kore-eda told them for the umpteenth time that a) Akira just wanted to be a normal boy, enjoying a normal childhood and b) he wasn't coping with the adult pressures on him. For most filmgoers, B (or rather the progression of B through to the climax) is more important than A.
groom daniel

Postby A » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:49 pm

Well, in the cinema I was in there was another reaction after the film. People were moved and impressed by the film. I didn't see a bored face.
And personally I think it's the opposite. For me the film only became involving after the mother was gone, and if it had been shortened in the first half, I would've rated it even higher. The interesting thing about the film is NOT its plot or the story, or whatever, but exactly the waiting, the on and on, the happening of daily things, which make life so wonderful. If it weren't for the second act of the film, the numerous repetitions, the glance at life evolving, the movie would have just been another low budget, look-what-terrible-things-happen-in-the-modern-society tearjerker.
The key to the film is repetition, and the documentary approach to it. Through repetition life shows its essence.
A

Postby groom daniel » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:36 am

Nobody Knows might not be a plot driven film, but it had a classic narrative struture w/ character arcs and a strong dramatic premise. I don't agree that Nobody Knows is about "the happening of daily things" since mother's don't usually abandon their children for six months, but even if it were about everyday life, Japanese directors like Ozu and Naruse were masters at showing the repetitions of everyday life while maintaining narrative economy.

In the end, we all have our own sense of filmic rhythms and if it worked for you and the audience you were in, I'm happy to hear it. Personally I think Kore-eda was caught up in his themes; themes which are often more resonant if you cut to the heart of what your film is about.

It was a wonderful film, though, even if I think he softened the tragedy.
groom daniel

Postby hengcs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:38 am

rather sad news
click
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RywuEvTjbDc

hope everything is fine now ...

from tokyograph news

Yuya Yagira survives apparent suicide attempt
Fri, August 29, 2008 (11:12am EDT)
Reports have come in that 18-year-old actor Yuya Yagira was hospitalized early Friday morning after an apparent suicide attempt. Yagira had attempted to overdose on drugs in his Tokyo apartment, but someone called emergency assistance and he was taken to a hospital. His condition is said to currently be stable.

Reasons for Yagira's suicide attempt are unknown at this time. His agency has not mentioned any details, but they said that they are currently looking into the matter

another website with this news
click
http://www.ryuganji.net/2...ly-emulates-heath-ledger/
hengcs

Previous

Return to Film Talk