Le Conseguenze dell'Amore (2004) The Consequences of Love

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:09 pm

Directed by Paolo Sorrentino

Starring Toni Servillo, Olivia Magnani

Titta Di Girolamo has spent the last 8 years living in a hotel in Switzerland, every week a suitcase of money is left in his room, which he then takes to be counted and banked. His life is a never-ending cycle of repetition, so much so that although he looks, he doesnt see. He is oblivious to the hotel staff who greet him every day, and spends a great deal of his time looking at life pass him by through the windows in the hotel bar. There are minor interruptions to his daily pattern such as his younger brothers brief visit but otherwise his life goes on in a dull endless routine.

Life changes though when he is confronted by the bargirl Sofia who demands to know why in the 2 years she has worked there; he hasnt acknowledged her once. His bubble of isolation is burst and he must deal with the consequences of love.

The cinematography is excellent, the leading players likewise, Titta is a man who for reasons known only to himself has switched off to life, he is far more aware of his surroundings than we are lead to believe which comes into effect later in the film. The suitcase of money is from the mafia, his long tedious hotel stay is a form of punishment for the loss of a great deal of mafia money when he was working as a stockbroker. Olivia Magnani as Sofia has a fairly small but pivotal role in the film and has that classic Italian beauty.

If I had to knock anything in the film, it would be the soundtrack which at times was intrusive, if a soundtrack is really good you dont really notice it that much because it blends in well with the film, not so in this case.

A very enjoyable film with (at times) some humorous touches and a good ending.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Re: Le Conseguenze dell'Amore (2004) The Consequences of Love

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:52 pm

Good review, Trev. I thought I posted my comments here somewhere but I can't find 'em. Anyway, the film looks great, doesn't it? I was a bit let down with the more generic last act.
arsaib4

Re: Le Conseguenze dell'Amore (2004) The Consequences of Love

Postby trevor826 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:41 am

Things did go downhill a touch once you left the sanctury of the hotel and despite it being a non-typical mafia film, the scenes involving them could easily have come from one of the Godfather films.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk