Lukas Moodysson's A Hole In My Heart (Sweden)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Lukas Moodysson's A Hole In My Heart (Sweden)

Postby spy in the house of love » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:51 am

I went to see it at indielisboa (independent cinema festival happening here in Lisbon) and I don't think I've ever had such an experience at the theater.

When it ended, everyone, every single person on the room, just sat there, in silence. Nobody moved, or clapped, or spoke. After a minute or so, finally a guy clapped and said it was a great movie. Everyone walked out in silence though, including me & my friend.

I liked it, and I wasn't that disturbed by the images. In the beginning yes, but I entered a state of shock and all I could do was sit there literally drunk on it.

I haven't seen any other movies by him, so this was my introduction to his work and I must say it left me rather curious about watching his previous films. I quite liked the characters, specially Eric. The music was also fabulous.
And there were great scenes.

Has anyone else seen it? If so, what are your thoughts on it?
spy in the house of love

Re: Lukas Moodysson's A Hole In My Heart (Sweden)

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:37 am

Allright, Trev. I guess this is the new thread. First of all, I don't think that A Hole in My Heart is a great film; certainly no where near the quality of Lilya-4-Ever. But I think the point Moodysson tried to convey is that most of us aren't easily shocked by anything nowadays. These "reality" shows have almost desensitized us of everthing, including any emotions. But then, much like the problem Bruno Dumont's 29 Palm ran into, which is to what measure and how far is one gonna go to portray a message? It becomes a little meaningless if it's hard to read.

Postby trevor826 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:25 pm

Okay, once I've had a chance to check over the DVD I'll write my thoughts although I don't think you neccessarily need to bombard your audience right from the off. Though I haven't read it yet, there is a directors statement among the DVD extras.

Cheers Trev.

Postby kookook » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:54 pm

This is the first occasion on which Moodysson has lost his balance, allowing his wrath to outweigh the charity that he used to extend to even the most boorish of his characters.

Return to Film Talk