The Edukators (2004) (Germany)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Edukators (2004) (Germany)

Postby hengcs » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:18 am

Director: Hans Weingartner
Cast: Daniel Brhl, Stipe Erceg, Julia Jentsch, Burghart Klaussner

In German Film Awards 2005, it won Gold for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role and Silver for Outstanding Feature Film .

The official website is here
www.theedukators.com

What I like ...
-- Ha ha ha ... how could you not like some of the lines
e.g., in defence, "I've been playing the game but I didn't make up the rules." ... rebuttal, "It's not who invented the gun but who pulls the trigger." ... wow ...
e.g., "Under 30 and not liberal, no heart. Over 30 and still liberal, no brain." ... wow ...
-- In fact, the conversation between the old man and the three young people was food for thought it makes me think
has everyone walked through the youth of idealism once can we really change the world?
has age and time, society and realism set in to make people resign to fate
-- As usual, I wonder how the film would end, and I thought it ended very well! hee hee ...
-- I actually like the song "Hallelujah"!
-- Finally, I commend the entire cast for carrying their roles very well

What could be better ...
-- The beginning was promising, but somehow, somewhere near the middle, the "thriller" pace was "lost" (sigh ), but near the end, the film was interesting again ...
-- Hmmm if you are a capitalist maybe you will dislike the film just maybe

Conclusion:
-- Above average.
hengcs

Re: The Edukators (2004) (Germany)

Postby trevor826 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:52 am

Different to what I expected, I was hoping they would make more of what the boys were actually doing which was the selling point of the film for me, instead it turned into a menage a trois and generation gap/ class conflict. Plus as I've already admitted, I fell asleep during "Hallelujah" but not for long.

It's a shame about the pacing, it may have benefitted from a touch of tightening up.

"-- In fact, the conversation between the old man and the three young people was food for thought it makes me think
has everyone walked through the youth of idealism once ?"

Not everyone but definitely a large number, at least in the parts of the world where basic survival is not a worry!

"can we really change the world?"

Ask Mr Bush.

has age and time, society and realism set in to make people resign to fate ?

For a great many yes but I hope I never fall into that category.

An enjoyable film that I had far too much expectations for, looking forward to catching it on DVD when it's released.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk