The Nomi Song (2005) (Germany/America)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Nomi Song (2005) (Germany/America)

Postby ManicallyHip » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:17 pm

IMDB has this listed as a German film, and it's about a German popstar, but the movie is directed by an American who lives in Germany. It's premiere was at the Berlin film festival though, although most of the dialogue is English. What can you do, lol?

Of course, this is a film on Klaus Nomi, the avant-garde new wave giant of the East Village in the early 1980s. They make it sound like he achieved Warhol-like status, but I had never even heard of the guy until I saw the film at Universal. Really good documentary on the NYC art culture during the period, and it features some of the icons from that time. An oddly American film created by a German production company...

Anyone else get a chance to see it in the theatres -- I got an advance copy of the DVD, which has some impressive extras on it?
ManicallyHip

Re: The Nomi Song (2005) (Germany/America)

Postby hengcs » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:29 pm

This is to merge 2 different threads on the same topic.

Originally posted by ManicallyHip
(6/30/05 7:02 pm)

I just want to recommend The Nomi Song to all of you. Its not really a foreign film. Its was made in America, but had more sucess over in France and Germany. Its a documentary about Klaus Nomi, who was a new wave artist in the late 70s and early 80s. He was known for wearing crazy makeup and costumes. He was also tragically one of the first notable people to die of AIDS. I only heard about this film through my internship at UMVD, but once i saw it, I fell in love with it. If you want, you can check out the film's trailer at www.thenomisong.com. I hope you guys like it as much as i did!
hengcs

Return to Film Talk