Vremya Zhatvy (Harvest Time) (2004) (Russia)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Vremya Zhatvy (Harvest Time) (2004) (Russia)

Postby hengcs » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:13 pm

Ok, I watched this film in SFIFF. But I am starting a new thread because some Russians on this board may want to add on ...

-- It is a nominee in the EUROPEAN FILM ACADEMY DISCOVERY 2004 - Prix Fassbinder
www.europeanfilmacademy.o...s2004.html

-- The director Marina Razbezhkina is a well established documentary film maker. According to the MC who introduced the film (if I recall correctly), the movie seems to be inspired by a woman patient who was warded next to the director when she was in hospital ...

The movie depicts tragedy without depicting any explicit tragic scenes. It is about personal tragedy and some political tragedy, but in the end, it also hints subtlely at societal tragedy (i.e., the sadness of progress or present society) ...

It is a simple and nice film that revolves around the story of a family of four -- the parents and two kids ...
... so, it pays attention to the details of daily life/culture/rituals in those times ...
... there will be scenes that make you smile ...
... there will be scenes that make you sad ...
... but like all films that are realistic, the ending depicts it all
-- i.e., the ironies of life ... and life goes on ...

The only problem, if at all is
... foreigners may fail to understand why the female protagonist is so fanatical about keeping the red banner in perfect condition ... a slight knowledge of history may be necessary ...
... to some people, the ending may be too abrupt ... BUT it is definitely thought provoking ... which is what I like ... hmmm ... I would really like the audience to think about the ending ...
hengcs

Return to Film Talk