Do you prefer a foreign film to be dubbed or subtitled

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Do you prefer a foreign film to be dubbed or subtitled

Postby mariposa112070 » Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:02 am

I think it is unanimous the winner is, drumroll please, SUBTITLED FILMS! The subtitled film says that even though we don't understand the language and at times a few things are lost through the translation. Overall, we respect it true, original form and that includes it 's original language. Hurray for subtitled, foreign films!!!!
mariposa112070

Postby surak2 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:26 am

Speaking of La Cage Aux Folles does anyone know if there was ever a subtitled version of La Cage Aux Folles 3 ever released on video? The mass marketeers only offered a crappy dubbed version, and I was never able to track down a subtitled version.
surak2

Postby SNAFU » Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:59 am

SUBTITLES!

I hate the lame attempts to translate a joke from some language into english as they normally fail miserably.
SNAFU

Postby carrill7 » Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:46 am

I definately prefer subtitles. Dubbing can be so distractnig and sometimes comical.
carrill7

Postby tlimjoco » Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:58 am

A late entry, but SUBTITLES, absolutely. For all the reasons already mentioned. It has nothing to do with "elitism" as someone mentioned, and all to do with total appreciation of the film as originally made. As a friend put it, it won't give you a hernia to read subtitles. Boycott dubbed films for the travesty they are.
tlimjoco

Postby somegreatmovies » Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:32 am

All I ever meant was that I would rather a person see a film dubbed, than to have them avoid it because of subtitles (I don‘t think my appreciation for a film like, say, Taboo would have been at all hurt by dubbing). I think it is almost, ALMOST always better to watch a film subtitled. But calling dubbing a “travesty” is just silly… after all it was good enough for Fellini.
somegreatmovies

Postby Gaz » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:21 pm

Boy, did mrandrews pick the wrong place to get varying opinions on dubbed films! Of course a website for foreign film buffs will appeal to practically nobody who will only be prepared to watch a foreign film if it is dubbed.

Whenever I sit down to watch a film on TV and it turns out to be dubbed rather than subtitled (this has happened recently with Malle's Vie Privée and Fellini's 8 1/2) I rush for the off button faster than you can imagine.
Gaz

Postby criterion » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:19 pm

subtitled ONLY
criterion

Postby info-10 » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:49 pm

Adult Products found Here Handcuffs ,Spanish fly, Lubricants, Dolls, Dildos, and Much Much More. Visit Us At http://www.captainhowdy.info
info-10

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:48 am

I definitely think most foreign/art film fans prefer subtitles to dubbing. Who wants to hear Yves Montad or Jean Pierre Leaud sound like Gomer Pyle? Speaking of which, the only available VHS copies of "Day For Night" are dubbed, which upsets me cause if you're gonna release the dubbed movies, than the subtitled should be there as an option. A bad dubbing job on a movie is close to hell, but subtitles can be a pain too. I own the old Janus Films release of "Rules of the Game", and the white subtitles are unreadable when placed over a white object on the screen, which is frequently.
bigpoppa_2059

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk