Frederick Wiseman's State Legislature (U.S. / 2007)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Frederick Wiseman's State Legislature (U.S. / 2007)

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:13 am

State Legislature, the latest documentary from Frederick Wiseman (Titicut Follies [1967], Meat [1976], Domestic Violence [2001]), has started airing on PBS stations (U.S.). Please check your local listings for details.

*Related: an article from The New York Times.
arsaib4

Re: Frederick Wiseman's State Legislature (U.S. / 2007)

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:20 pm

As you well know I am intrigued, would be nice if it saw some theatrical distribution, but I don't know if this is another one of his 6+ hour films.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 pm

It's 217 minutes long. I have taped it but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it in its entirety.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:57 pm

I missed this at the Berlin film Festival, because I wasn't able to find the theater in time...
The people who saw it were VERY enthusiastic about it.
I hope it will get a DVD release.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:11 am

Mr. Olaf Mller selected it as the best film of the Berlinale.

Zipporah Films:

"We are currently working on transferring the films to DVD, and will likely make them available for individual purchase, and priced accordingly, by fall 2007."
arsaib4

Postby A » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 am

That's good to hear, and I appreciate Mr. Mller's (often adventurous, and always challenging) judgments.
I have often wondered if it would be possible to see Mller's personal Top 100 list one day - I'm sure there would be many surprises on it.
Since I saw him putting Rudolf Thome's Frau fhrt, Mann schlft (2004) on his Top Ten (he is one of the few people who recognise Thome's genius here in Germany), I'm a fan of his writing
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Is that quote from Zipporah applicable to all of Wiseman's films? Granted that will make my 19 bootleg Wiseman dvd's obsolete, but at least the transfers will be better.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:30 am

I believe so. But I would hold on to those DVDs for the time being.

Mller is quite possibly the most important film critic in the world today. Besides State Legistature, he was also quite high on Maria Speth's Madonnen, which stars Sandra Hller (Requiem). Hopefully, it'll be programmed at the upcoming TIFF. I think he also mentioned Angela Schanelec's Nachmittag, a film you reviewed, in a positive light.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:57 am

He certainly is indispensable for shedding a spotlight on little known parts of film history in various countries. Somehow you get the impression that he is an expert on almost everything
Too bad I didn't know of his opinion on Madonnen during the Berlinale, as I could have fit it into my schedule but wasn't interested.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:03 am

Yes, Mller can speak eloquently and knowledgeably about anything. There are such critics in France, but not in the U.S. And, unlike most, he doesn't look unfavorably upon certain genres and their origins . While discussing the little-known HK filmmaker Cheang Pou-soi, he made an excellent point that "the fact that [Cheang] remains largely unrecognized is a reflection of the schizophrenic state of film cutlure today, which constantly references and professes to love low-budget genre cinema yet largely fails to acknowledge that it's alive and kicking in places like Manila, Bombay, Lagos, Tokyo, and Hong Kong."
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk