No Country For Old Men (2007)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: No Country For Old Men (2007)

Postby hengcs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 am

arsaib4 wrote: Now available on DVD in the U.S. from Miramax. Extras include three making-of-featurettes.

I wanted to purchase it initially.
But I was thinking -- would there be a 2 disc edition in the near future? can't afford to waste too much money buying 2 versions ...

Postby wpqx » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 am

The Coen's never say %%%@ about their movies, so don't expect a commentary.

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:15 am

Nope, there's no commentary.

At this point, I haven't heard anything regarding a 2-disc edition, hengcs. And even if one is in the works, it probably won't be released in the near future. But I'll try to keep an eye out for it.

Postby jcdavies » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Well, i'm sorry but this came as a disappointment, but then again i should have expected a Best Picture Oscar winner to be undeserving. It went for a cooler, more artfully classy approach than their previous stuff and was interesting in the first half then it simply drained away. Now i'm fine with unresolved endings and a certain drift (e.g Antonioni) but i simply became less and less involved, i guess from not long after the motel shootout scene. The Coens like these sort of bad guy coming to your room to get you scenarios (a classic scene in Miller's Crossing) but here there's no real heart or much warmth.

Postby jcameron » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:20 am

Hello Everyone,

Could anyone here help me to appreciate the Coens' work more? After watching *Fargo* when it first came out, I was...underwhelmed. It made me want to avoid every movie thereafter including *No Country for Old Men*.

Can someone fill me in as to what I am missing? Are they referencing other filmmakers or planting secret subliminal messages in the open fields? Thanks.

Return to Film Talk