Iranian Cinema

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Iranian Cinema

Postby mani_fh » Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:36 pm

Any opinion?
mani_fh

Re: Iranian Cinema

Postby john-5 » Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:18 pm

Iranian cinema in recent years puts most countries to shame.Abbas Kiarostami is the director most admired by critics-try "Close-up","Through the Olive Trees" for starters(several others are excellent,quietly poetic)."The White Balloon",by Jafar Panahi is a little charmer.Try also his "The Circle".Mohsen Makhmalbaf is another important director.Of his films i've seen ,i'd personally recommend "Gabbeh" for its beautiful colours and interesting scenery,though it's not to all tastes.His daughter Samira has made 2 excellent features,while still very young:"The Apple" and "Blackboards".Farmanara ("Prince Ehtejab"etc),Baiza'i("Bashu the Little Stranger"etc) and Mehrjui("The Cow",1968,a landmark) are probably the other most admired Iranian film-makers,but most of the films shown in the west over the past decade or so are well worth seeing.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm

I forgot to mention(not for the first time) Majid Majidi's popular "The Colour of Paradise",currently in the ForeignFilms top 100,and "Children of Heaven".If you want to know more,i'd recommend Hamid Dabashi's book,"Iranian Cinema,Past Present and Future".This covers pretty well all the major Iranian classics,gives a good overview.
john-5

Postby ndibra » Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:30 am

Hello! Just saw Color Of Paradise.. I enjoyed it .. The characters were well chosen.
Does anyone remeber the name of that movie (comical) where there is a arabic/american family (wife was english..red headed) they owned a (bakery?)
and the children did not want to get married in their father's traditional way?
I thought that movie was quite funny..Especially the part where the brides to be come to MEET their "suitors" and the day goes bad...
I cant remeber the Title..

I am looking for the Children of Heaven..I cant find it at blockbuster..

ndibra

Postby annelibrary » Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:38 am

I've only seen Color of Paradise and Children of Heaven and I enjoyed both very much. I would like to see
more Iranian films.

Ndibra the film you are referring to is a British film called East is East about a Pakistan man and his family in England in the 1970s. I enjoyed parts of it although I did find the constant use of "bastard" rather wearing..
annelibrary

Postby mani_fh » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:35 pm

That movie's called "East is East"
And it's not an Arabic family but rather Pakistani
mani_fh

Postby mani_fh » Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:14 pm

"In the past decade, Iranian films have won nearly 600 awards at international festivals, where directors such as Abbas Kiarostami and Mohsen Makhmalbaf are recognized as among the cinema's most accomplished artists."
-GODFREY CHESHIRE, Film Critic

What do you think about Iranian Cinema?
mani_fh

Postby katsuben » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:27 pm

Cheshire's article "How to Read Kiarostami" in CINEASTE, 25, 4 (Fall 2000) is a must read. He explains how specific poetic and philosophical analogies are inscribed into Kiarostami's style. The use of "verticalness" in THE WIND WILL CARRY US is especially well considered.
katsuben

Postby mani_fh » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:16 pm

Fans of Iranian Cinema, Check this out:

http://www.streetlightfilms.com/video/hiband.html
mani_fh

Return to Film Talk