The Simpsons Movie (2007)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Simpsons Movie (2007)

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:04 am

So far, I've been able to see three of the seven features Yang made (he also directed a segment of the omnibus In Our Time, which is regarded as one of the key early films of the Taiwanese "new wave"). I think once the remaining issues are resolved, his work will initially be brought back into the limelight in the form of a retrospective.

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:31 pm

I know his work has been shown in a retro before here in Chicago (long before my time), just hope sincerely that it happens again.

Postby trevor826 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Funny how this thread has diverted but I'd be very pleased to see any of Edward Yang's films released on dvd. The U.K. dvd of Yi yi: A One and a Two hasn't been available for a while and I don't believe any of his other films were released here.

Cheers Trev.

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Criterion put out a DVD of Yi-Yi which upset me only in the fact that before that release Yi-Yi was the only film of his actually released on DVD. I think the soundtrack issues with Brighter Summer Day are the reason for its perpetual delay here. Only took 30 years to clear everything for Killer of Sheep, hopefully it won't take to long for Yang's films.

Return to Film Talk