Children of Men (2006) - Alfonso Cuarn

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Children of Men (2006) - Alfonso Cuarn

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Personally I thought both Children of Men and Babel were excellent films, I could find fault with both but they were far superior to the majority of mainstream releases. Both used the sense of paranoia that is all too pervasive at present, Children of Men certainly hit the spot as regards the general attitude towards immigrants in the UK, not that far from reality either with plenty of talk of internment camps and fears of an East European invasion.

Staying off topic though, wpqx, I couldn't find anything on Way of the Stars, could you elaborate, is there another title etc.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:33 pm

My mistake its called The Way to the Stars, and was also known as Johnny in the Clouds. Anthony Asquith directed it in 1945.
wpqx

Postby bamboomedia1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 am

I thought this film was great! I mean I was on the edge of my seat throughout because it was very tense. The camera work was incredible and watching the special features I saw that they implemented new technologies that pushed the film industry forward. They totally invented/constructed new equipment to shoot the shots they did. As much as I loved Pans I really thought this movie should have won best cinematography. I really liked Babel but I thought it was the weakest of the three that he directed. If you look at my thoughts in a previous post I was almost bored throughout. That was not the case with this film.
bamboomedia1

Postby trevor826 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:42 am

For once a dvd distributor is doing the right thing.

Alfonso Cuarn was none too pleased to find that the (I assume) UK release had very little in the way of extras, he encouraged Universal to issue a new edition just weeks after the initial dvd release.

The good news is that anyone who bought the original release can get the new improved version for the price of postage. Now how often does that happen?

I'm very happy as I picked up my copy for a paltry 3 GBP and will be sending it off asap.

New extras include:

Deleted scenes,
Several featurettes,
The Future of Hope, a series of discussions on the future of humanity.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:09 am

How abt the US version?
Is that a better or worse version?
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:09 am

From what I can see the US had a decent release first time round, looks like the external markets are treated with a couldn't give a toss attitude by some of the bigger companies. A big thank you then to Alfonso Cuarn, a director who obviously does give a damn.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:12 am

I've finally watched this too
hengcs

Previous

Return to Film Talk