300 (2007)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

300 (2007)

Postby hengcs » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:54 am

I just caught it yesterday ...
Did anyone else?

Visually, it is stunning ... in part credited to the "slow motions"/some art direction/choreography ... ha ha ha
hengcs

Re: 300 (2007)

Postby wpqx » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:48 am

I saw it and was not a really big fan and there are a few reasons why.

1. The narration was way overused, stated the obvious, was distracting, and could have been limited.

2. The dialogue was hideous. Almost every line sounded like it was from at least 40 other films.

3. The slow motion crap got annoying and was far overused. The film could have been a good 20 minutes shorter had they done away with all that nonsense.

4. Every scene that didn't involve fighting was extremely boring and horrifically slow. The pacing of this film was way off, and there was no real flow to anything.

I know it wasn't a complete waste, but this severely let me down.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:39 am

IMDB :

"It seemed like summer at the box office over the weekend. Not only did some areas of the West experience a heat wave and temperatures in the East surge to their warmest levels of the year, but kids packed movie theaters as if mid-year recess were in full swing. The comic book-like 300 took in an estimated $70 million, a record for a March opening. Analysts had expected a huge opening -- somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 million -- but none had predicted an opening that big. The film had a reported budget of $60 million. The results were all the more surprising since the film had an R rating. (It had also received decidedly mixed reviews from critics.)"
arsaib4

Postby justindeimen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:45 am

Before watching it, I really did think the vitriol that quote on quote critics descended on the film were perhaps just hyperbole - much like the plaudits self-appointed fanboys bestowed on the film as well.

I must be getting old then at 22 if I found this to be one of the worst tripe that I've seen in the past year. This, my friends is not genre proof. It is not beyond reproach. It's an insufferable shell of a movie that rings so hollow, and is so devoid of any emotions that it condescends its audiences. Style over substance for the most part and although in some events just very pretty to look at, it pretty much just aims to encapsulate the ferocity of LOTR, Braveheart and Gladiator.

The added slo-mo becomes a parody of itself sooner than I expected it to. As controversy about the depictions of the Persians makes its way around news outlets, I have to say that showing them as hedonistic fiends was perhaps the most intriguing part of the film, when a chill did threaten to find its way down my spine when the Dr Doom-esque Xerxes first reveals himself.
justindeimen

Postby hengcs » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:45 pm

ha ha ...
it is a film targeted at mainstream audience and teenage audience (who prefer action over "art" films) ...

for me, i thot it deserve 2 praises
(i) MAINLY for its "art direction/choreography", one cannot help admit that a number of "screen shots" are very well choreographed ...
(ii) its TRAILER looks like one of the better ones ...

i watched it a second time, NOT becos i like it a lot ...
but on the second watch, i actually like it better than the first time i watched it ... maybe i had "too much" of art films ... an occasional "do not need to use brain" shows help to make the day "lighter" ... hiaks hiaks
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:15 am

Yeah but this film seems to be trying to strive for some sort of high art. Perhaps my expectations were too high, or I let that slow motion @#%$ get under my skin.
wpqx

Postby peppajaa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Maybe trying to translate a graphic novel to the screen can be challenging? I haven't seen 300 yet but I was hoping for the best, not (at least for me) watching 300 Spartans in a little more that a g-string.
peppajaa

Return to Film Talk