Babel (2005) (US/Mexico)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Babel (2005) (US/Mexico)

Postby bamboomedia1 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:23 am

This is supposed to be the last installment of Irritus trilogy dealing with the themes of parents, children, disconnectedness and miscommunication. I didnt like this film as much as I wanted to although I will admit that it did have its moments. The acting was great from everyone and some of the imagery and color schemes were beautiful. I think the biggest problem was with the development of story and plot. I think this happens because this director deals mostly with themes first and story and characters second. The film seemed to drag on in some spots and I think the director couldve been a bit more succinct in the points he was trying to get across. Irritu shines when he sets forth harsh reality unapologetically instead of bonking us over the head with long drawn out scenes with an overdramatic score trying to pull at our heartstrings. I really respect the subject matter this movie is addressing I just wish it would have been handled in a more fleshed out cohesive way.

On a side note...I knew this would be the weakest of the three movies (of 2006) that the three amigos (Irritu, Cuarn and del Torro) directed. I am going to see Children of Men this weekend and Pan's when it is released here. I can't wait. To say that I've been waiting all year is an understatement at this point.
bamboomedia1

Re: Babel (2005) (US/Mexico)

Postby hengcs » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:56 am

Director: Alejandro Gonzlez Irritu
Cast:

My thoughts ...

-- i thought it began well, but the "editing" (i.e., jump from scenes to scenes) actually offset the pacing rather than keep you thrilled/puzzled about what is gonna happen on the other story ...

-- nonetheless, i thought a lot of issues/scenarios were so GENUINE/realistic that you will be able to associate with some incidents/hearsay/news that you have come across ... in particular ... some of the scenes that i like ...

(i) the maid and kids incident ... so sad ... so difficult to be judgmental ... but so real ...

(ii) the immigration checkpoint scene ...

(iii) the Japanese girl ...

(iv) the stereotypes of various ethnicity/place/etc ...

What could be better?

(i) the editing/pacing?

(ii) i thought one scene in particular could be improved (i.e., the one whereby the busload of people wanted to leave ... as of now, it is a pretty one sided kind of story ... most audience may hate/blame them for being selfish and being too steretypical/phobic of the rural area) ...

i thought a better improvement would be letting audience wonder whether Brad is just as selfish (if the director allows another passenger to really suffer from hit stroke ...) ... in that case, the audience are made to wonder more abt what is right/wrong, or what to do becos there is no easy right/wrong ...

Conclusion:
Recommended ... laudable mainly for its great universal message about communication/listening/empathy/etc ... and definitely its international effort, with a great cast, in diff location and different languages (not an easy feat indeed) ... for that ... * CLAP * ...

now the tough question ... is it really the Best Film of 2005?! hmmm ... i think Crash from last year may be more engaging ...

BUT i am NOT against Babel getting the Best Film award cos I think HFPA wanted to spread the univeral message of understanding and communication ... hopefully, the world will get to watch it and be a better place ...

The Departed (however) is more tight in terms of story telling ... nonetheless, it may not have as powerful a message as Babel ...
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:38 pm

wow ...
i was reading this thread ... "who had sympathy for the maid"

www.imdb.com/title/tt0449...t/58386750

from this thread, u can tell how diverse the world is ...
and how diff culture/individuals/opinions can be ...
which is exactly what the film is trying to relate
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:43 am

Well with this film I've now seen every best picture nominee since 1970. Not to say that was the reason I saw the film, I would have seen it regardless, and certainly based on Innaritu's last couple of efforts. I think the film was reaching too high. I didn't connect with these characters the way I did with the unhappy trio in 21 Grams or Amores Perros. The Japanese Story seemed out of place, and although in and of itself it may have made a decent film, the connection was weak and it seemed to seriously bog down the story. The fragmented narrative is something I've come to expect and easily understand by now. Here however I feel like the film might have been more fragmented, and out of chronological order the way 21 Grams was. Like that previous film, this picture has a very splendidly designed sound concept that seems to have been lost on most people. The score was first rate throughout and the acting was good all around. Its comparisons to Crash are unjustified for both films, and I think both Pan's Labyrinth and more specifically Children of Men could have better served Mexican filmmakers with a best picture nomination.

Long story short, of the nominees, The Departed was the best film.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:05 am

I'm glad you brought up the sound design because not many have; as I've said elsewhere, I was also quite impressed by it. On the other hand, many have mentioned that one story or another doesn't quite fit the overall mold. I think Irritu, who's already been chastised for connecting a few too many dots, would've overplayed his hand if the Japanese segment had too strong a tie with the rest. It seemed formulated the way it was by design. But the seemingly minor act of the Japanese businessman does carry overt political implications.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk