Inside Man (2006) (USA)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Inside Man (2006) (USA)

Postby hengcs » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:34 am

Director: Spike Lee
Cast: Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster

Hi,
I am actually surprised no one talks about it here.
It was originally on my too watch list for April ...

However, the distributor has chosen to distribute the PG and NOT original uncensored version. Hence, I have decided to wait for the original version.

So, my question is -- does it live to its hype?
Apparently, imdb and rottentomatoes give it good reviews ...
hengcs

Re: Inside Man (2006) (USA)

Postby A » Fri May 12, 2006 1:25 am

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm surprised that our other members obviously also haven't.
How about you wpqx. Am i remembering right that you're a Spike lee fan?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat May 13, 2006 4:26 am

This joint was better than the previous one.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sat May 13, 2006 6:08 pm

You mean "she hate me"? Haven't seen that one, but I loved "The 25th Hour".
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat May 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Yup. As for 25th Hour, it had a lot of interesting ideas that never gelled together very well. Still, I thought it offered enough to chew on.
arsaib4

Postby justindeimen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:34 pm

I absolutely loved this movie. There's just something about Spike Lee movies that seems to always jump out at you even the most insignificant things are interesting.

How inspired was using the Bollywood tune to open and end the film, especially the end with the credits. Exceptional!
justindeimen

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:59 am

It was certainly a surprise. I believe Ghost World also opened with a Bollywood track, though a classic one. The song featured in Inside Man came from a recent film by Mani Ratnam called Dil Se. (I wish our Indian-based contributor, Madhuban, was around to confirm.) I'm not sure if Lee selected it because it sounded "cool" (which it certainly does) or if its translation held some meaning for him. (Ratman's film dealt with terrorism/counter-terrorism.) As for the film, it was enjoyable, though I have some doubts regarding how much depth its racial/sexual identity politics actually had.
arsaib4

Postby bamboomedia1 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:28 pm

I hate to disagree on my first post butI just saw this film last night and I have to say that I thought it was pretty bad. I expected a lot more since it was a Spike Lee film but I have to say I was disappointed. The long rotating camera shots left a lot to be desired and at times I thought the acting was cringe-worthy. Most notably the scenes with Jody Foster and the judge as well as the diner scene with the non-Arab guy were extremely horrible. (Didnt anyone else notice this?) Overall, ehh. Not really a motivator for me to revisit Spike Lees earlier works that I dont remember very well.
bamboomedia1

Postby hengcs » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:47 am

Quote bamboomedia1, "I hate to disagree on my first post ..."

hi bamboomedia1,
nice to see u ...

but pardon me, which was your first post?!
hengcs

Postby bamboomedia1 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:55 am

Thank you.

The first message I posted on this board was the one above yours about Inside Man. ;-)
bamboomedia1

Next

Return to Film Talk