Inside Man (2006) (USA)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Inside Man (2006) (USA)

Postby trevor826 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:19 pm

Very different for Spike Lee and quite a clever crime caper but I did feel the racial issues were dealt with in a very simplistic, naive, even cliched manner.

Enjoyable, entertaining and nicely constructed but without the impact of his earlier work. Loved the Bollywood style song at the beginning and over the end titles but didn't feel any of the performances were outstanding in fact I'd go as far as to say that the performances of the principals was purely perfunctory.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 pm

I had to bring up one point, that shot straight after the execution, Denzil Washington's character speeding along obviously on some sort of trolley, that was so hysterical!

I nearly choked on my tea and had to rewind it a couple of times just to ensure I hadn't imagined it. What on Earth was Spike Lee thinking, it was so out of place and looked hilariously stupid, in a film such as Evil Dead or Naked Gun yes, but in a serious crime drama?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby justindeimen » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:56 pm

That's a trademark of Spike's I think. I remember watching Summer of Sam, and there was a shot exactly like that albeit in this case, introducing a character.
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:44 am

It took me awhile to get to this film, and my expectations weren't disastrously high. I still think Lee is best when working with his own material and agree with arsaib's comments that 25th Hour didn't quite gel despite some very good moments. This movie is clever, but I don't think it really comes together. That tracking shot involving Denzel was a little out of place, and the beginning of this film didn't establish itself as a film of flashy techiques. She Hate Me was a muddled mess, but its high's were better.
wpqx

Previous

Return to Film Talk