The New World (2005)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The New World (2005)

Postby hengcs » Wed May 17, 2006 1:58 am

I have wanted to watch it on a big screen.
But by the time I was free, it was gone ...
sigh
hengcs

Postby howardschumann(d) » Wed May 17, 2006 3:03 am

Thanks a lot . You are a very kind man.
howardschumann(d)

Postby hengcs » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:14 am

Film, Philosophy, and Terrence Malick
By David Sterritt

www.fipresci.org/undercur...malick.htm
hengcs

Postby howardschumann(d) » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:15 pm

That's a beautiful article. Thanks for posting it.

Howard
howardschumann(d)

Postby A » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:13 pm

Nice article.
I especially like the characterization at the end, about Malick exploring the "philosophical self". As I studied Philosophy myself, i have to agree.
Actually most of my favorite films deals with spiritual/philosophical questions.
A

Postby jcdavies » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:08 am

It's me, Johndav; had the same trouble as before getting through ezboard with previous user name, after move of address and internet service provider (now back in Wales).

Malick's best i think. Kilcher is utterly believable as a character of innocence, strength, love, loyalty and integrity. The film starts more from the white settlers' view- dreamlike quality of the beautiful new land- gradually turns so Kilcher/Pocahontas takes over and we see England through fresh eyes- the formalised gardens (compared with America's unspoiled nature), streets and buildings must have seemed extraordinary to her. A few shots of the rows of ordered shrubs and trees brought to mind Last Year at Marienbad. The music reminded at times of Dvorak's New World symphony + his compatriot Smetana's Vltava (both aptly, the latter describing the river). Not sure if this was the original score or parts of the Wagner Howard mentions. Rheingold has its watery connections too i notice.

Malick loves his voice-overs, but Farrell's wasn't always clear, quite mumbled (as was the case in Thin Red Line, unless it's my hearing's not too good).

A reasonably balanced view of the Native Americans i think-not sentimentalised, demonised, caricatured or too strongly idealised. Pristine nature under fire, natural beauty juxtaposed with conflict and violence, very different cultures and outlooks coming into contact- favourite Malick themes. Restless camera, gorgeous cinematography (as usual with TM films).

Certainly among the best English-language films of the decade. And Kilcher was only 14?! We should have heard much more of her and this performance.
jcdavies

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:28 am

Hi jcdavies, I thought you were going for the record of most user names, must be three or four by now, btw, what on earth are you doing back in Wales?

Back to 'The New World', for some reason and despite the fact that the theatrical release in the UK was the 150 minute version, the dvd release was the shorter cut! I can only assume that it was more cost effective to issue the same cut as in the US.

Having seen both now I can say you are definitely missing out with the short cut, they may be atmospheric shots but I felt robbed after watching the dvd.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby jcdavies » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:50 pm

Oh i didn't realise it was shortened- i did remember someone saying they'd wanted the original film to go on longer so i didn't expect greater length. I really don't know why i've had these problems with ezboard and not elsewhere every time there's a change of circumstance; now having to look after my dad.

The film didn't labour its points- even Pocahontas' death was mentioned in passing, when it could have been milked for messages about Western disease doing in indigenous peoples etc.
jcdavies

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:19 pm

I have no doubt The New World will make my end of year top 10, it would take quite a few stunningly brilliant films to prevent it and somehow I really can't see that happening.

I really would suggest to everyone to catch the longer cut in the cinema if at all possible.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:44 pm

"It's me, Johndav; had the same trouble as before getting through ezboard with previous user name..."

Did you try to have them e-mail the old password to you. Perhaps you don't have that e-mail account anymore. Anyway, it's good to see you here again.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk