Lagaan is really great, but I'm amazed it was nominated

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Lagaan is really great, but I'm amazed it was nominated

Postby ruthgree » Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:12 pm

I loved Lagaan...saw it (a bottleg copy, I now realize) after walking into an Indian video store and asking for a recommendation. It's a wonderful sweeping period movie, an inspiring underdog sports movie and a bit of a Bollywood movie with song and dance all rolled into one. Star and producer Aamir Khan is as talented as he is handsome. It's great that the Academy gave the nod to a "musical" (almost all Indian movies are). I'm a songwriter and also enjoy watching movies with music, so I hope this is a trend. Monsoon Wedding was a similar joy...a nice change from the European "art" film seriousness.
ruthgree

Re: Lagaan is really great, but I'm amazed it was nominated

Postby mackybaca » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:43 am

Hi! I also thought Lagaan was a welcome break from Hollywood movies. I have a VCD copy of it (VCDs are more popular here where I'm from (Manila) and didn't regret buying it. It was very entertaining and to think I'm not Indian and I have no idea of what cricket is all about. I rather thought Amalie (the other Foreign Film Nominee) is too Ally-McBeal-ish with all the special effects and the doe-eyed girl. Too sacharine for me. Give me Gracy Singh anytime!
mackybaca

Postby ruthgree » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:53 am

I liked the creativity and uniqueness of Amelie (but then I've never seen Ally McBeal). I also really liked Dil Chahta Hai, which starts Aamir Khan, but is set in today's Mumbai.
ruthgree

Postby stingo31 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:11 pm

An excellent film - I first heard about it on another website and decided to give it a try. I'm very glad I did.
stingo31

Postby ananda » Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:57 am

The most popular Indian movie is Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Try that movie. It made me shed tears.
ananda

Postby stingo31 » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:22 pm

Well I just ordered Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and The Terrorist - will post when I've watched them. Thanks for the recommendation.
stingo31

Return to Film Talk