World Trade Center (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: World Trade Center (2006)

Postby jcdavies » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 am

Well, if Stone's film has genuine integrity and doesn't milk it for dramatic effect or glamorise, then...

I'll try and judge it on its merits when i see it.

But i would still prefer for Western directors to concentrate more on the other side of the story, the ordinary decent men, women and children who've been suffering and trying their best for each other on the other side of this "war". Or even the people still dying in their millions in forgotten parts of the world of poverty, starvation, wars (backed by Western Arms companies) and preventable diseases. A Million Rwandans massacred while the Western powers washed their hands (at least a small number of films have recently been dealing with that issue). In any event, clearer statements are needed that we the human race are all one; that Western lives are not more important, brave and praiseworthy than others throughout the world.

There's been far too much hype and brainless tribalism in the general media portrayal of events, which needs balancing up.
jcdavies

Re: World Trade Center (2006)

Postby A » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:30 pm

Quote:The whole media reaction to 9/11, 7/7, the latest foiled plot in Britain has been one sickening wallow in sensationalism, trying to add victim status to rich imperialist powers who sit back in comfort while we drop our bombs and kill tens of thousands of civilians whose lives are valued far less than, as inferior to, ours. In The Times the other day the first 16 pages were devoted to the foiled terrorist plot in Britain, when noone was killed- do we love the whole idea so much? Even had the plot succeeded the casualty figures would have been similar to just another week in Iraq. A large number of people died in 9/11, and so many many more are killed by our own state terrorism; we are part of an axis of destruction. 9/11 is not a subject for exploitation by media or politicians but their reaction has made the world a much more dangerous place. Any film on the subject should take a long hard look at our own general culpability for the lives lost on both sides of this so-called "war on terror" (a ludicrous expression, especially given the statistics of civilian compared with military victims of Hizbollah-Israel conflict), instead of trading on facile notions of good and evil, selling excitement + suspense, for profit.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's the same here in Germany.
A

Previous

Return to Film Talk