Human Nature (Michel Gondry / USA, France / 2001)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Postby A » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:57 pm

It seems that I just can't find any time recently to visit the board or do any other film related stuff. I hope this will change trememndously, if I'm accepted in Media Studies at University in October

Anyway, here are a few older notes I found on Kaufman's Human Nature. Not much, but maybe enough for some discussion. It seems like this is one of "his" more neglected films.

An above-average script that deals in a clever way with the concept of civilization.
The filmmaking itself is only standard, and too playful for its own good. The ending shot is beautiful though, and the story has much food for thought, and complex things going on on the films fringes which aren't developed at all.
Worth watching, but far from the masterful Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind which has similar weaknesses, that are nevertheless totally compensated by an at times
improvisational and documentary quality which is missing here.
But still a film worth watching.

personal rating: 67 out of 100
A

Re: Human Nature (Michel Gondry / USA, France / 2001)

Postby trevor826 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:39 pm

I can't remember a great deal about "Human Nature" but must admit that I loved "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind".

Have you seen the compilation dvd of his music videos and other assorted bits and pieces A? It's well worth seeking out with work for Bjork and many more, very good and very entertaining.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:23 pm

Haven't seen the compilation, but I've seen most of his videos on TV. Admired him already back in those days, and my respect has only grown through watching Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind numerous times.
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:31 pm

I'm certainly looking forward to his new film, which of course I forgot the name of, but apparently its coming out here in the US in September.
wpqx

Postby A » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Yeah, it was sold out at the Berlin Film Festival this year, so I am still waiting for it. But responses haven't been too enthusiastic, so far (at least not in comparison to Eternal Sunshine...). And after seeing Human Nature, I don't think Gondry as a director plays in the same league as Spike Jonze.
Nevertheless I'd love to love it.
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:54 pm

Looked awfully similar to Eternal Sunshine, so I'm not sure if it will be equally as impressive, or disappointingly derrivative. Speaking of him as a director, I still haven't watched Dave Chapelle's Block Party, but I do own the DVD, so there's hope yet.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:31 pm

I don't want to sound like Gondry isn't a good director. Just not the genius, you might think he is after watching Eternal Sunshine...
I've seen Dave Chapelle's Block Party, and the direction was by far its weakest point (same as with Human Nature). But I can recommend it wholeheartidly.
If it wouldn't have been for the loss in focus during the 2nd half of the film, it would be one of the best of 2006.
A

Return to Film Talk