Korean films are very good

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Korean films are very good

Postby mtl211 » Sat Mar 23, 2002 4:54 pm

Hey....i've been watching some Korean films lately. They are really good....much better than I thought. go out and rent some...you won't be disappointed. they are not like chinese movies which i think are either mindless or way too slow, nor are they like japanese films which are strange....and not enjoyable it seems. the recent korean films, since 1998....have really jumped in quality.

one's i've seen so far

Interview = very good but experimental.
Green Fish = very good...u will like it
Shiri = decent action thriller...espionage, etc. North korea versus south korea
No. 3 = ok...something got lost in the translation. a dark comedy about gangsters
Attack the Gas Station= surprisingly funny film...definitely worthwhile no matter what your taste is. i can't imagine someone not liking this film.

Ginko Bed = ok supernatural thriller
Bichunmoo = terrible...do not see it

films i really want to see:
JSA......supposed to be one of the best. north korea v. south korea!!!
Friend or friends: forget which it is.....highest grossing film in korea ever
My sassy girl: comedy
Musa: martial arts epic...with zhang ziyi!!!!
Tell me something: detective mystery.....gore. supposed to be good
Art museum by the zoo: drama...romance
Christmas in august: love, drama, tragedy

What are your thoughts? a good portion of the films can be played in any region.

Re: Korean films are very good

Postby klyph » Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:07 am

yes, korea is experiencing a wonderful wave of talented filmmaking which is being recognized internationally.

i was very surprised and dissappointed to find that there are no korean films listed on this site.

Postby klyph » Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:09 am

"momento mori" is a fantastic film which i recommend to everyone.

i just want people interested in korean cinema to understand that its DIFFERENT from the cinema in hong kong and the rest of asia. although a film like "shiri" might come along and gather lots of attention, it's really the smaller less commercial films coming from there which are really worth catching.

Postby jkimpg » Sun Apr 07, 2002 2:37 pm

JSA(joint security area),friend(direct translation might be freind, but the content is friends)and shiri had big impact on korean movie business recently.
I really liked JSA and Friend.
For someone who is not a korean, I strongly recommend JSA.
Translation shouldn't be a problem. As long as you pay attention to the film, you can really enjoy this film.
I think freind is a film that international fans will have a hard time to really appreciate the film. Because there are a lot of local tastes in it. Translation might be a big problem. They use a dialect from a certain city. I am from that city so I can really enjoy the uniqueness of the film.
However, if you get a chance to see this movie, don't miss it. It's very entertaining movie. It reminded me of Goodfellas.
Some extreme violences are portrayed in the film

Postby abdullah2k » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:55 am

"Peppermint Candy" is another excellent korean movie. It is similar to "Memento" in which the film is shown from back to front. Very cool.

Postby thegreatken1 » Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:22 am

Worst Korean-produced film: "Inchon".

Postby trespalmas » Sat May 04, 2002 9:34 pm

Saw an incredible Korean film and the name is escaping me- it was done in a traditional "storyteller" style of narration, with song, and the main story was about a boy who falls in love with a courtesan's daughter, marries her, leaves to take an examinination, and I won't give away any more of the story. Anyone remember?

Postby dukie » Tue May 07, 2002 12:42 pm

The movie that trespalmas describes is Chunhyang. http://www.mediacircus.net/chunhyang.html

This film is based on Korean Classic. If you are interested in Korean culture, this movie is worthwhile. This movie encapsulates many of core Korean traits and culture. For a person who is going to watch it or have watched it already, you would appreciate the experience more if you appreciate the difficulty of mastering Pansori (Korean traditional narriative style), and the beauty and the cleverness of the poem in the movie.

I personally thought that it would have been palatable for me if narrative was told by a woman. I don't recommand this if you are not interested in Pansori, since you might find it slow and dull.

But otherwise, if you are interested in Korean films, you can start from the following web site. http://www.koreanfilm.org.

Personally, I liked JSA (Joint Security Area), PyunJi (The letter), and Bungee Jumping of Their Own. If you like comedy, you may like My Sassy Girl. I heard good reviews but haven't watched One Fine Spring Day and Failan.

Postby ksparent » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:14 pm

I live in Korea and as a result can't watch many Korean movie--afterall, they're not shown with English subtitles. DVDs of late have been released with subtitles, but the rental stores have precious few offerings and even fewer domestic ones (at least in my area).

Frankly, though, I haven't been too impressed with what I've seen. Of course, the best Korean cinema has to offer is what you guys outside of Korea get to see. What I see on TV everynight makes the worst of Hollywood look pretty darn good.

I did see JSA since there were large portions of English dialogue. It was an enjoyable movie, but I really didn't think it was that different from a standard Hollywood movie, just a different setting.

Heard on the (Korean language) news yesterday that the director of Chunhyang recently took home first prize at some international film festival. Can't be more specific due to the language gap.

Postby dukie » Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:08 pm

The director won Cannes best director award.

Return to Film Talk