Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:41 pm

Directed by Tim Burton

Starring Johnny Depp

Generally very entertaining with Johnny Depp having a ball as the slightly demented Willy Wonka.

Anyone who has read the book or seen the original film will know the overall story and indeed some sets appear to have been ported from the original film particularly the set with the chocolate river and waterfall and the TV room. All the design work is excellent from the early 20th century style northern industrial town with all streets directed towards the factory, the factory itself looking as though it had stepped out of Metropolis while the inside is a chocaholic's dream (or nightmare).

The one slight niggle was with the Oompah Loompah's, I preferred the ones from the previous film and I also thought their songs were more timeless rather than the sometimes awful pop renditions of this film.

I have heard people comparing Depp's Willy Wonka to Michael Jackson but I'm glad to say I didn't make that connection, instead when we saw him having his hair cut all I could think of was Freddie Mercury the former lead singer of Queen when they performed Bohemian Rhapsody (for anyone who has seen the video you'll know how bad his hairstyle was). Christopher Lee played Depps father, the town dentist in an added story told in flashback but who would have thought that Johnny Depp could be more disturbing than Christopher Lee?

A great change from all the over bloated action films the cinemas have been full of lately and it's nice to note that the Burton/Depp combination has pulled it off again although some of the humour may be a little disturbing for very young children.

Cheers Trev.

Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Postby Sara » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:38 pm

Trevor, I have not seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I really like Johnny Depp, and I agree with you in that he is not emulating Michael Jackson.

That said, I just can't believe anyone can top Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. (When he limps slowly out to greet the crowd at the gate - then does a flip and lands on his feet- how could that be improved on? What does Johnny Depp do in this scene?)

There was only one bad piece of music in WW and the CF. It was "Cheer Up, Charlie." We always fast forwarded through that. But the other music, especially the song near the start about the "Candyman" (I could almost see Dick Van Dike singing that!) and the "Loompa Loompa..." was just wonderful.

I also thought Grandpa Joe was great.

Anyway, this new film may be closer to the book. But I don't care!

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:34 pm

They haven't in any emulated Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka but I'd have to say the new film is far closer to Roald Dahl's story. So there's no old man turns acrobat act, you'll have to stick with Yoda for that but you definitely need a twisted sense of humour to get the most from this film.

Thankfully Johnny Depp doesn't burst into song at all and is certainly not the nice sweet Willy Wonka from days of yore.

Cheers Trev.

Postby A » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:37 pm

I haven't read the book, and I haven't seen the older version, so my expectations on these parts are pretty low.
Apart from having missed out on some american pop-culture, I have seen almost all of Tim Burton's films.
As he's one of my favorite directors, and Johnny Depp is one of a handful of actors I would see almost any movie in which he's in, I'm anticipating this. But as I'm on vacation I probably won't have any opportunity to see it before October, when I can only hope, it will still be playing in german theaters.
But lucky me, another Burton film is coming up this year, and as I think Nightmare before Christmas is "his" best film (I know he hasn't directed it), the stop-motion "Corpse Bride" hopefully is as good.
Tim, keep 'em coming.

Postby kookook » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:41 am

Finally saw it for myself - it wasn't as bad as I thought, but it also wasn't nearly as good as people made it out to be...

I have to say that one of the best aspects of this film was the set design, it was honestly eye candy (dum de dum!). I'd be really concerned if this film didn't recieve a Oscar nomination for set design and art direction. They still had that wacky Tim Burton touch to them yet they managed to make them look like something I could imagine from the book.

I really liked the Oompa Loompas, but I really hated their songs, even though they were the same lyrics as the book, they had these melodies and tones with annoying instrumentals, it just sounded TOO corny.

Depp also over-acted more than once; that blemished his performance considerably, especially since most of his roles are virtually flawlessly pulled off. The whole thing was a big wasted opportunity. I give it a 6.8/10.

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:47 am

I wasnt sure what to expect from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. In other words, I was unclear whether it featured the Tim Burton who made gripping and visually stunning films during the 90s (Edward Scissorhands [1990], Ed Wood [1994], Sleepy Hollow [1999]), or the one whos directed bland Hollywood "products" so far this decade (Planet of the Apes [2001], Big Fish [2003]). While it doesnt compare well with his best work, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a competent effort from Burton, along with being a minor-improvement over Mel Stuarts Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971), the original adaptation of Roald Dahls classic book. However, since the new version is surrounded by many better films intended for children, it wont be granted the status given to the old one.

*The early sequences between Charlie and his family were interesting and well done (no cheesy musical numbers this time around). Charlies residence looked like one of the dilapidated sheds from Sleepy Hollow, but it was just as impressive as any of the CGI work in the film.

*The initial puppet-show a bit awkward (but Burton more or less made up for it by taking us to the "hospital" later on where the "victims" were being treated.) And then, it was difficult NOT to think of Michael Jackson when Wonka first appeared; more disturbingly, I also thought of Prince. (Perhaps Im the one who needs help.)

*If I remember correctly, Stuarts film wasnt very crisp moving from one set-piece to another. Burtons doesnt waste much time in-between. Wonkas backstory, an addition by screenwriter John August, is fine, although it couldve been employed more effectively.

*Enjoyed the treatment received by the spoiled brat. The squirrels were simply doing their job, so there was nothing malicious about it. However, the following Kubrickian sequence just looked out of place, and thus didnt work as well.

*Every now and then, the theme music of the original film starts playing in my head. Its hard to shake it off. Cant say that there was anything special about the score (Danny Elfman) in Burton's effort.

*The performances were first-rate, and helped accentuate the overall message of the film.

Postby wpqx » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:57 pm

Sorry to hear you think Big Fish is bland Hollywood product, I thought it was Burton's best film in almost two decades. Concurrently I was rather disappointed with Sleepy Hollow. As for this film, which is the one in question I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is an improvement over Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, although I seriously doubt this one will ever achieve the cult status of the original. Can't say Depp makes a better Wonka, I wasn't overly impressed with him in this picture, but there was something particularly creepy about Wilder.
I loved the score, the songs reminded me of Ellfman's Oingo Boingo days, and I couldn't help thinking of his first movie musical score for brother Richard's Forbidden Zone. I think the children were really well cast here, and you enjoyed them at the same time you were revolted by them. Occasionally annoying characters can get too damn annoying, and I'm extremely hostile towards child actors in general so good work there. The backstory with Wonka's father was something of a welcome addition, but I really think it was just an excuse to use Christopher Lee, and you probably won't ever hear me say a bad word about him. Overall a rather well made picture, due to its nature I can't really call it a masterpiece, being both an overbudgeted CGI spectacle and a remake, but certainly enjoyable. I think it helped that Burton disliked the original film, he gave it enough of his own voice without even remotely trying to mimmick the first. And Charlie's house was pure Burton, he'll never fully shake his Expressionist roots.

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:22 am

"I thought [Big Fish] was Burton's best film in almost two decades."

Almost two decades? Well, that pretty much leaves you with Pee-wee's Big Adventure. Anyway, I thought Big Fish was quite derivative of early Spielberg, Zemeckis, and the likes. In other words, it looked and felt the least "Burtonian" among his films. I guess I prefer the dark, gothic Burton.

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:07 pm

Well glad you caught the reference, Pee Wee's Big Adventure is far and away my favorite film of his. Perhaps I enjoyed Big Fish because he wasn't really taking himself too seriously, he lightened up for a bit, but it still feels very Burtonian to me. It's still expressionist but not in such a cryptic way, and I'll probably watch Albert Finney in anything.

Postby A » Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 am

Still havan't seen "Charlie or the chocolate factory" (nor the corpse bride).
But as far as I am concerned I only thought "Planet of the apes" to be a failure. Liked "Big Fish" very much, (though I prefer "sleepy Hollow" )
Pee Wee has also aged well in my memory. I'd like to see it again.
The only others I have partially problems with are "beetlejuice" and "Mars Attacks!".
Talking about Burton, I should really rewatch most of his films.
But I like it most, when he is "darker" (my favorite is "Batman Returns"). In fact I think he hasn't yet been dark and quirky enough. Imo there's still a lot of hidden potential in him.

Ah, I think I'll start a rate the director thread on him right now. Would be interesting to see your preferences listed

Return to Film Talk