Paths of Glory and a music question

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Paths of Glory and a music question

Postby Sara » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:55 pm

This is one of the best war movies I have ever seen. The last 4 minutes are very moving - they really stirred my soul.

The music at the end was soul stirring, too. It made me think of wonderful endings to films with soul stirring music. Gallipoli and Come and See come to mind at once. Not rigorous, no, poignant.

Have you seen it? It's 1957, but speaks volumes today.

What other war movies have music that stir your heart?

Sara
Sara

Re: Paths of Glory and a music question

Postby wpqx » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:42 pm

I've seen it a couple times, because it's Kubrick and everything he did is essential. I'm watching a King Diamond video right now and it is the funniest @#%$ @#%$ ever, Christ he sucked. Anyways, the best use of music in a war movie would probably be either Apocalypse Now and "The End", and Platoon, both films used music quite remarkably.
wpqx

Postby Sara » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Yes, Apocalypse Now has wonderfully effective music.

Sara
Sara

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:53 am

The "Apocalypse Now Sessions" is a favourite recording of mine, Out There (Naturally )Performances ,superb percussion workouts by Mickey Hart/Bill Kreutzman
The drummers & friends of the Grateful Dead,my favourite track is "Napalm For Breakfast" freaky Stuff.
a must for atmospheric music fans with that right touch of weirdness!
gratefultiger

Postby A » Thu May 11, 2006 10:03 pm

The first time I saw it (and i was already a "Kubrick-fan") i didn't like the film. The last time I was moved to tears.
Clearly a masterpiece imo.
Bu the best (anti) war-film and the best use of music is for me in "The thin red Line". The malaysian songs are just perfect for the film.
Apocalypse Now also uses songs in a great way.
And another Kubrick war film, "Full metal Jacket" ha also a great soundtrack. But almost all Kubrick films have.
A

Return to Film Talk