Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

Postby hengcs » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:43 pm

Director: Rob Marshall
Cast: Ziyi Zhang, Ken Watanabe, Kji Yakusho, Michelle Yeoh, Kaori Momoi, Youki Kudoh, Li Gong, Kenneth Tsang

Some new pics ...
-- www.helloziyi.us/Gallerie...promo1.jpg
(incl. Ziyi Zhang, Ken Watanabe, Kji Yakusho, Michelle Yeoh, Li Gong, etc.)
-- www.helloziyi.us/Gallerie...promo2.jpg

Some old pics ...
-- www.helloziyi.us/Gallerie...tanabe.htm

For more info
www.helloziyi.us/Movies/m...geisha.htm

Wow ... there was a sneak preview ...
And the comments by agoodfella are VERY detailed.
us.imdb.com/title/tt03975...t/23166126
hengcs

Re: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:58 pm

I still can't get over the fact that most of the star cast are not Japanese, I realise it's because it's for a Western audience and name association blah, blah, blah! In all honesty I don't believe the film will in anyway match up to the book.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:17 pm

more pics
ent.sina.com.cn/m/f/2005-...18271.html
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:16 am

I've seen the trailer and while it looks fine there is absolutely no way in the world that any of the female stars and Zhang Ziyi in particular look Japanese. Amazing though that Gong Li still looks stunning and does pass for someone far younger than she is.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:15 pm

I agree. That's also the reason Maggie Cheung didn't do the film.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:58 pm

The men and young girl are at least Japanese

Anyway, the trailer ...
www.trailerdownload.net/showItem/178/
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:51 am

I will see it because I thought the book was excellent plus the cast is full of quality actors, actresses (despite the majority of the leading roles being the wrong nationality) but my expectations are not high because it is a Hollywood production and will not take the neccessary risks.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:35 am

Well I finally saw the film and woof. The Chinese cast speaking broken English hurt the film. Sure Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi are arguably the two finest women in the Asian world, but they couldn't help elevate this film above a boring debaucle made to win awards. The reviews have been mostly negative, and it's justified.
wpqx

Postby Johndav » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:15 pm

Not seen the film yet but same misgivings already as mentioned above; much as i adore Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi, why not Japanese actresses? Crass commercial considerations and more than a hint of all orientals looking alike? (even taking into account that many white actors play different nationalities). Director hardly a master in Chicago. I really liked 3/4 of the book then it started to tail off and seemed to me to end up as some statement about US having unquestionably a better life to offer.
Johndav

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:00 am

I'm going to pass on Geisha for now. I'm not sure exactly how many times, but all I heard during the trailer was someone screaming "Geisha." And, of course, one could pretty much decipher the whole story based on those 2 minutes.
arsaib4

Next

Return to Film Talk