Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabit (2005)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabit (2005)

Postby wpqx » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:15 pm

Well claymation films aren't too common, which makes the few features delivered special events. In fact I don't think a full length claymation film has been made since Nick Park's last, Chicken Run over six years ago. Well Park, and claymation are back, and so are it's two best known characters Wallace and Gromit. Seeing them in mainstream American theaters, I was doubtful how it would play out. I was delighted to find that faith was kept, and not a single thing about the film was "Americanized".

The film got the October release because of it's somewhat comical horror plot, the curse of the were-rabit is basically a giant bunny let loose on the town's vegetable supply. Seeing how they're soon having their annual Giant Vegetable Tournament, this is quite the catastrophe. Lady Tottington (Helena Bonham Carter) is the animal loving host, whose character is just as ugly as one might expect seeing the previous pictures, and therefore certainly Wallace's type. The other "star" of the film is Ralph Fiennes who plays Victor the rabit hunting Lord attempting to marry Tottington.

The dynamic duo are still inventing, Gromit is still the brains of the outfit, and they're earning a living by protecting the town from pests eating vegetables. They do it humanely, so not surprising Totty (as she tells Wallace to call her) takes quite a shine to them. That's as much plot as necessary, but along the way you get some parodies of Frankenstein, King Kong, The Wolf Man, and possibly even a Ben-Hur.

The picture is more entertaining than one might expect. It isn't necessarily a laugh fest, as none of the W and G movies are. It is however entertaining, and there are certainly moments, and if you leave the theater wanting cheese, then you know it got to you.

Grade B +
wpqx

Re: Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabit (2005)

Postby Sara » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:22 pm

I rented "Wallace and Gromit: Three Amazing Adventures" from Netflix. Loved it!

Sara
Sara

Postby trevor826 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Sara, is that the first time you've seen them and which was your favourite?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Sara » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:23 pm

Yes. My first time. I loved all three of the short films. Don't make me pick - please. Also on the DVD there is a wonderful collection of all their "inventions."

They are wonderfully British. Do you see them on TV over there? I've never seen them before.

Sara
Sara

Postby trevor826 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:08 pm

They've all been shown on TV here plus they have done some short clips that sometimes get used in between programmes.

They are very humorous although the comedy is generally very dry and "Northern". One of the best things they did was to use actor Peter Sallis to voice Wallace, I couldn't imagine anyone else doing it.

As for Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, I'm waiting till the kids have gone back after their weeks school holiday before I go to see it.

Can't wait.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:13 am

I enjoyed the movie but found it was a little too long and unlike the others a little slack, definitely worth seeing for fans of the pair but not quite the magic I was hoping for.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:20 am

Watching the Wallace and Gromit shorts was a big part of my growing up with films and falling in love with animation (particularly clay-mation) when I was still young. I've seen every film at least six times, as they were regularly shown on TV. Don't know how it is nowadays, as I have stopped watching TV years ago (don't even have "TV-connection" at home anymore), but I guess it hasn't changed much: German Television is still regularly running the 100th repetitive showing of all Mr. Bean episodes (maybe more on these cherished memories from my youth in the future - I haven't seen ANYTHING as often as those ), so I guess Wallace and Gromit should be still running somewhere from time to time.
The last time I saw one of the shorts is already several years ago, and somehow I still haven't come around to watching the original versions on DVD, so my surprise with the film will be indeed very great, cause I've grown up with the guys speeaking German , thanks to Germany's fabulous (ironically speaking) policy of having EVERYTHING dubbed ( - one of the reasons I don't watch TV anymore). Naturally I intend to watch the film in English, so I'm anxious. But though the film has been already running for some weeks here in Berlin, I haven't yet come around to watch it. As they are so precious to me, I want to see them with an important person from my life (same goes for the newest Jarmusch), but they are all living in other places than me. @#%$!!
Well, I still haven't figured out, what I'll do, maybe watch them alone, maybe wait for the DVD, though the best solution would be visit a friend (but I'm broke and travelling is very expensive...) so I don't know what exactly to do, yet.
But I promise to write a review, when I've seen it - whenever it will be
A

Postby wpqx » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:37 am

I've learned that movies alone aren't really a bad thing. They're cheaper, you have more time to reflect, you can sit wherever you want, and you can go any damn time you feel like it.
wpqx

Postby A » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:00 am

I agree with you, 90% of the films I watch in cinema I watch alone. And I am almost every second day in a theater.
But SOME films just beg to be watched with close friends.
A

Return to Film Talk