Vanya on 42nd st. Louis Malle

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Vanya on 42nd st. Louis Malle

Postby Sara » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:59 pm

Have any of you seen this? It is supposed to be a great version on the Chekov play - as if they are rehearsing.

I watched it for awhile yesterday. Then I turned it off as I found it very talky. After seeing the quiet (almost no dialogue) film 3-Iron of Ki-duk Kim's, and the films of Robert Bresson, I found the acting - like on a stage - and constant talking JARRING.

I'll try it again this afternoon perhaps. I don't want to give up on it as it has gotten wonderful reviews.

Tell me if you have seen it and what you think.

Sara
Sara

Re: Vanya on 42nd st. Louis Malle

Postby wpqx » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:18 pm

I wasn't overly impressed with this film either. Some good acting, but again too wordy. I had a similar boredom watching the even more critically acclaimed My Dinner With Andre. I wouldn't really recommend this film to anyone, save for Louis Malle completionists. At least its miles above Damage.
wpqx

Postby Sara » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:32 pm

Thanks wpqx. That makes me feel better.

I may give it another try before I return the film to Netflix. Maybe...

Sara
Sara

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:27 pm

Any film based on Checkov's work is bound to be talky. And since Vanya actually takes place in the theatre world, the performances and the rest are appropriately modulated. I do hope that you watch the film in its entirety. It's certainly no masterpiece but it's better than many other adaptations.

I'm not a fan of Damage either. On the other hand, among Malle's late works, Au revoir les enfants is great.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:09 pm

I have also heard good things about it, but haven`t seen it, yet. But Julianne Moore in a young role makes it interesting for me
Besides Damage which I liked, I haven`t seen anything else by Louis Malle, yet.
A

Return to Film Talk