War of the Worlds

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

War of the Worlds

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:40 pm

Eventually saw it today, can't say I was over impressed, religion which played a fairly big part in the original novel and the 1950's film was soon knocked out of the picture and the turnaround of teen slob to all American kick ass hero was totally unbelievable.

So how was the film brought up to date and how in the future will people be able to ascertain when it was made without checking some film database? Simple, once the attacks start you have the teen slob son running round like a headless chicken and screaming at his father asking him if it's "The Terrorists" several times. When it' becomes clear that it isn't terrorists he then asks "Is it the Europeans!" What on earth does that mean, I'd love to know?

The design of the tripods was okay but the Martians were apalling and you saw far too much of them, there were actually many points that could be picked on but I don't want to pick holes just for the sake of it, if you're just out for a bit of the usual summer blockbuster fodder then this will probably suit you fine but if you want a little depth, you'd do better to look elsewhere.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Re: War of the Worlds

Postby hengcs » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:32 pm

Director: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Justin Chatwin, Miranda Otto, Tim Robbins

What I like ...
-- Hmmm, unlike a number of people, I actually like the beginning segment where family matters came into play. I really think Tom Cruise came across as a father who tried occasionally but failed ... ha ha, the scenes were comical, yet sad and familiar ... we are reminded of fathers who do behave as such

-- Hmmm, Dakota can act. But pardon me, after so many films with her screaming and/or crying, can we see her acting in other kinds of roles?!
-- Hmmm, Tim Robbin's scenes were creepy ... hiaks hiaks
-- Like most people, yes to the special effects, sound effects, etc ...

What I think could be better ...
-- Hmmm, the "aliens" seemed so omnipotent in the first 3/4 of the film. But, in the end, they all perished so easily ... sigh ...
-- So many people died, but Tom's family escaped unscathed ... * are we watching "The Incredibles"?! * ... oops ...
-- Likewise, they seemed to be the only family that managed to secure a movable solar car ... hmmm ...
-- The scenes with military vehicles were not well utilized. We hardly see what they were doing ...
-- Was there a message? ... about conquest and not being able to survive in a foreign land ... hmmm ... although the ending did hint at that, I doubt many people got the message ...

Conclusion:
-- I like the first half of the movie, esp. those scenes where we do not see the "aliens" ...
-- Can watch ...
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:05 pm

All I could think of as people were obliterated and their clothing came floating down was, well the charity shops are going to have a great time!

Cheers Trev.

PS. Agree about Dakota Fanning.
trevor826

Postby kookook » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:01 pm

Well done and a good movie for what it was, (as you'd expect from Spielberg) but i still didn't really like it as much as others seemed to have. I would have preferred more of an overview of the whole situation rather then a very narrow perspective just from Tom's point of view. Could have been about half an hour longer with an insight into how other people/societies were dealing with it. Also would have liked there to have been more insight into how society in general was dealing with the panick and fear. I thought the most riveting moment was when they were mobbed by the crowd while in the car and the chaos that fear was creating. With that said however, can't deny that given the scope they went with it was a very well done, suspenseful movie. 3 out of 5.
kookook

Return to Film Talk