Before sunrise - The best usa movie of the last 10 years?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Before sunrise - The best usa movie of the last 10 years?

Postby lonecubandchloe(d) » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:21 am

I believe it is, there is no other movie in the last decade from the USA to match it. I'm not sure why exactly, I just think it has more of a European film feeling to it.

I will try to expand more on this later.
lonecubandchloe(d)

Re: Before sunrise - The best usa movie of the last 10 years?

Postby A » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:40 pm

I would be really interested in this. I don't think it is even under the best 500 american films of the last ten years, but maybe your argumentation will bring me to appreciate it more. Jonathan Rosenbaum has it in his 1000 best films of all times list (so he may be in agreement with you), but I sadly didn't find any writing on it.
I myself thought before Sunset a far better film, one of the best of last year.
A

Postby lonecubandchloe(d) » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:15 pm

I suppose it's all to do with age, I guess.
Two young people full of potential with the world at their feet, exploring each other while they explore Vienna for a day.
It's a very hopeful film that leaves you hanging, although was eventually followed up last year by the more cynical Before Sunset, which was my second favourite film from last year.

It was one of the first films to bring the breakthrough of indiependants, and in my opinion at least, has yet to be matched by any other American movie of the last decade.

None of this will change your mind of course, not that that was what I was trying to achieve, I am glad you loved Before Sunset however and thank you for dignifying my post with a reply.

Thanks.
lonecubandchloe(d)

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:43 pm

"It was one of the first films to bring the breakthrough of independants""

I'll let you expand on this. Steven Soderbergh's Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989) is the film widely considered to be the one which re-energized the indie community.
arsaib4

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:46 pm

yet to see it but will,but it will want to be bloody good to beat tod solondz' "happiness" the one i rate the highest in the last 10 years.i also rate L.I.E & Elephant.
gratefultiger

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:58 am

Keep hearing about Happiness and have a friend that was going to force me to watch it, but well she's a bit of a slacker.

As for Before Sunrise I absolutely adore the film, and it may certainly be in contention as one of the best films from the previous decade. I enjoyed Before Sunset a lot, but it couldn't live up to the potential of Sunrise. Maybe it is reflective of my age, but I could see a lot of myself in these characters, and damn it's just great.

We had a similar debate on the last site, only the film in question was David Lynch's Mulholland Drive, which would certainly be a film to beat. I may in fact go for the opinion that Mulholland Drive is the best film of the past decade, but well as soon as I'll say that I'll change my mind.

Perhaps a better argument could be a top ten or twenty, or even fifty. There have been some amazing films from America in this time, and I'd say certainly better than most of the limited foreign releases that make their way here. Granted I only get to see a small fraction of the foreign films made, but the US just has them beat. I don't want to start pissing in the face of foreign admirers, because I too am one, but the last several years if I looked at my top tens, I'd be surprised to find foreign films representing even half of the list.
wpqx

Postby A » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:19 pm

Mullholand Drive was the debate about the best film of this decade, not the 90's
As for my Top Ten lists, some great american films just keep creeping in, and I don't know what to do. Probably watch more foreign films.
A

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:42 pm

Happiness had to get a mention didn't it, its one of those films that is repulsive in its honesty and truth, I've seen it once and know it's a film I'll never watch again.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby groom daniel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:49 am

I personally think Mulholland Drive is the best US film since the original Manchurian Candidate. I did like Before Sunset and its sequel. I'm tempted to say that together they're greater than the sum of their parts, but the sequel was a little unnecessary and didn't stand on its own two feet. I also wish it hadn't told us so much of what we didn't see (and didn't need to see) in the first film. Nevertheless, both films were filled with moments that any scriptwriter would've loved to have written, especially the record store scene in the first one (w/ the listening booth) and the fight in the car from Before Sunset (which was scarily good.)
groom daniel

Return to Film Talk