Japanese Journals - The Classics. Mizoguchi, Ozu, Kurosawa

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Japanese Journals - The Classics. Mizoguchi, Ozu, Kurosawa

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 pm

Sara, thank's for the Ebert link, I did do a comment on Late Spring (1949) and while it isn't comparable with Ebert's notes, the smile is one of the points raised.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:15 pm

I did watch Equinox Flower, but can't really come up with anything to say on it to justify a legitamate review. My library also has Mizoguchi's 47 Ronin and Street of Shame, so I'll try and get those, and try even harder to get some decent comments written as well. There's also a few Kurosawa films in their midst, but I generally just wait for Criterion to work their magic with his films.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:51 am

Well I watched all of Mizoguchi's 47 Ronin, and I must say snore fest and a half. I knew it was a subdued and restrained picture, but wow nearly 4 hours of a samurai film without a single sword fight. There's only so much talking about honor that a person can stand in that time frame. I know it has a few supporters on this site, namely John, but I found it a glorious waste of celluloid that could have easily been compacted into one film.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:22 pm

It appears that this film is very controversial, due to its supposed "Patriotic" stance. Haven't seen it yet. Is it available on VHS/DVD?
A

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:28 pm

I believe this is one of the very few available on DVD. I watched it on VHS and it was a decent enough transfer. Patriotic or not, its so boring no one would be roused to fight for their country after watching it.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:35 pm

At least one good effect. And a very important one, I would say.
A

Postby wpqx » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Tokyo Twilight (1957) - Yasujiro Ozu

Released as part of Eclipse's Late Ozu series, this film is a remarkable transfer of a gem that I've seen very little written about. The film is possibly Ozu's most melodramatic, and seems to offer more of the social dilemna's we would expect from Mizoguchi. The decay of a middle class family is again the focus, but when one daughter's marriage is failing, the other finds herself pregnant by a hoodlum, and finding she has too much in common with her estranged mother. The emotions are piled on high, and although Ozu sets the film up very slowly allowing us to dwindle on small conversations about sake, and food, he gradually lets us into this somewhat complicated world. I absolutely loved it and consider it one of Ozu's best, but to time restraints I can't say much more about it now.

Grade A
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:19 am

Any extra features?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:49 am

Unless you consider subtitles and chapter selections special features then no.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:42 am

Too bad. I think it's hightime that I also make a contribution to this thread. Naruse isn't here but Mizoguchi is.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk