Sweet Movie (1974) (Dusan Makavejev)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Sweet Movie (1974) (Dusan Makavejev)

Postby justindeimen » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:36 pm

I'd like to write a thesis on Dusan Makavejev's Sweet Movie (1974) but I fear that I'll barely scratch the surface. I'm actually lost for words at how tremendously transformative it is.

Dusan Makavejev's furiously idiosyncratic film is one of the most confrontational and aggressive assaults on conventional good taste ever captured on film. With the director's gift for literalising the non-literal, this is a film nobody can stay indifferent to in its bewildering oddities that are far too mindblowing to list. Political messages are inundated through sexual propositions, and it situates sexuality as a sentient being, a transcendence of physicality that forms a large part of our undiscovered humanism.

It joins together taboos like paedophilism, marxism, interracial sex and fetishism into a fireball of confrontation that questions why we fear what's in our hearts and minds and why do we shackle down uninhibited decadence. The director seems to want us to wonder if humans are bound to be restrained by reducing us to our bareness, without pretense.

Makavejev takes it further in a filmic sense by also intercutting documentary footages of war and exhumed bodies to proof to us that our senses aren't as perturbed by that as we are when we finally see humans carry out their body functions by defecating and urinating etc. And in true Reichian style psychology, the director eases out our tensions and restive states by making us see what we don't want to see through his 2 hyperbolic narratives. In the first story of a virgin beauty queen, he shows us the sexual liberation in an individual taught to keep her "preciousness" intact. In the second story that regards a female captain of a good ship lollipop (affixed with a bust of Karl Marx) who lures young (and I mean young) boys into her den of iniquity is, by and large a political metaphor of Marxism eventually destroying the proletariats and corrupting youths.

This film is brilliant, an unconventional parable that slides in and out of the ether that essentially becomes a therapeutic experience in treating repression and indoctrination.
justindeimen

Re: Sweet Movie (1974) (Dusan Makavejev)

Postby justindeimen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:42 pm

By the way, it's available on Criterion just incase the above made anyone think it's a rare title at the moment.
justindeimen

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:40 pm

i saw this film in the early 80's & hated it,but i would like to see it again as i was wrapped up a bit too tight in the cinema that night!
it was a very heavy film.
gratefultiger

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:16 am

Has anyone seen Makavejev's The Switchboard Operator?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:54 am

If you mean The Case of the Missing Switchboard Operator then yes, and its amazing.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:24 am

No, I meant Love Affair: Or, The Case of the Missing Switchboard Operator. I think the film is known by at least a couple more English titles; the one I initially used is on the U.K. VHS.

In any case, I have it and I'll be viewing it shortly.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:46 am

That's the film I'm talking about, quite an extraordinary film.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:06 am

Yes, I know, I was kidding. Great film, indeed.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk