Cronaca di un amore (Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy, 1950)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Cronaca di un amore (Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy, 1950)

Postby MikLosk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:38 am

A rich italian businessman Enrico Fontana engages a private detective Carloni to find out the past of his young wife Paola. It turns out that Paola is still in love with poor student Guido, who's currently a car seller. But some secret oppresses both lovers: seven years ago Guido's young bride became a casualty victim.

It's the first Michelangelo Antonioni's feature film. He made it when he was 38 - rather late for director's debut! But in the movie an attentive viewer can see all main themes that will become subjects of Antonioni investigation in late 50's - early 60's and make his name famous. It's interesting that many of his movies contain (apart from love stories) detective and crime moments, though they can turn out false. Actually nothing changes, including heroes' inner world. The plot returns to the start.

In Cronaca di un amore Paola and Guido want to love each other, but this love is impossible. Memory of the death of a girl, who was somewhen the third in their relations, leads to the suffering. Nobody can be happy due to other's tragedy. Although Paola tries to make Guido come back, it seems to me that she wants not to love but to control him. And she achieve her aim. And then she tells Guido to kill her husband. And he's even agree to do it taking down her dictation. But again casualty happens, not murder. However, it makes them oppress very hard.

This early Antonioni film still contains neorealistic motifs (first of all, hero). It disturbs making antonioniesque athmosphere and constructions. I feel some discrepancy: such "earthy" heroes can't be unhappy love victims. However, 8/10
MikLosk

Re: Cronaca di un amore (Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy, 1950)

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:53 am

Thanks for the review, Miklosk. I was glad when this film was released in the U.S. last year on an excellent 2-DVD-set containing plenty of extras.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:08 pm

It was only released because I tracked down a bootleg of it. I found the film decent, but a far cry from a masterpiece, and your rating seems a little generous.
wpqx

Postby MikLosk » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:45 am

your rating seems a little generous

Maybe you're right. But I love Antonioni very much, and there is some echo of his future films in this one. I appreciate it very much. Maybe I'm too subjective.
MikLosk

Postby wpqx » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:56 pm

We all have our favorites, and Christ knows I'm nice to Scorsese.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk