Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

Postby Don Lope de Aguirre » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:47 am

The most unsettling depiction of human tragedy I've ever seen, and a very powerful allegory for man's inability to stay in balance with nature. The greatest film ever made in my eyes.

If you haven't seen it, do it now.
Don Lope de Aguirre

Re: Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

Postby Anasazie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:03 am

Herzog's other work has very similar themes, he hasn't matched the heights of Aguirre, but he's always interesting and mostly spot on. Also possesses a very confronting sense of humour which can have you in stitches at times.

Lessons of Darkness, The Enigma of Kasper Hauser and the downright hilarious Even Dwarfs Started of Small are the closest to Aguirre in quality in my eyes.
Anasazie

Postby Don Lope de Aguirre » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:36 pm

I've got Fitzcarraldo ready to go, and looking at the plot summary on IMDB, it looks like it deals with the same flaw in humanity as Aguirre. I could be wrong.

Herzog is a guy I'd love to explore further, especially his documentaries. Him, Godard, Antonioni and Bresson are the most intriguing filmmakers to me currently.
Don Lope de Aguirre

Postby A » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:14 am

Haven't seen Aguirre, but I've watched some early shorts by Herzog recently. Here in germany his films are relatively easy to come by - but mabe that's a reason why I have seen so little, yet.
My favorite so far is Woyzeck (197 . Kinski is great as usual, but the really outstanding event is the best closing shot I've ever seen. Simply eye-popping.
A

Postby wpqx » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:01 pm

I was rather disappointed with Woyczek. Fitzcarraldo is a perfect companion piece for Aguirre, the two films are inextricably linked imo. As far as Herzog's next best film, I would vote for Cobra Verde, but I'm yet to find anyone who agrees with me.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:05 pm

@wpqx

I am extremely fond of "Cobra Verde", though it might not feature among the first three films on my Herzog list.

"Stroszek" remains my favourite Herzog film! The only film I was a bit disappointed with was "Invincible". I am yet to see some documentaries though.

M
madhuban

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:34 pm

I've just ordered a few more films from him, including two documentaries, so hopefully I can shed a little more light on his lesser seen films. I found Stroszek difficult at parts, which might be why you enjoyed it. Hard to say what faults I had with it, but it just left me cold.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:33 pm

@wpqx

I tend to have a preference for those films ("Kaspar Hauser", "Stroszek", "Heart of Glass" and "Even Dwarfs Started Small") that do not have Kinski (though he was a hell of an actor, and, perhaps, because of it one's attention is centred on the manic protaonists he essays!) because they allow the viewer's attention to wander to other things that are as important to Herzog as his protagonist. "Stroszek" is a difficult film, but the manner in which it slowly builds up to that climactic sequence of the dancing chicken in an otherwise desolate landscape, is phenomenal. That last image, at once a shocking finale to an otherwise understated film, and a befitting culmination of everything that preceded it, makes "Stroszek" stand out.

M
madhuban

Postby Anasazie » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:43 pm

Stroszek is strong, but not as inconclusive or as abstract as some of his other films. I get a bit tired of his recurring motifs sometimes and i preferred the way the chicken was used in Dwarfs. Also, third time in 7 years he used the spinning car motif, gets a little repetitive after a while.
Anasazie

Postby Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:59 pm

Why was this thread moved to Classic Cinema? What qualifies as a "Classic" film?
Don Lope de Aguirre

Next

Return to Film Talk